In IT at 43 (it should ryhyme!!!)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Baron210, May 11, 2006.

1. Baron210

Baron210 Bit Poster

Thanks to this forum, and my hard efforts to get into IT at the grand old age of 43, I've been lucky enough to gain my 1st "Entry level" position in IT (as a "Systems integrator" for a small, but worldwode company geographically near my location (8 miles away).
    I was so desperate for a job, on one of my previous post's, I volunteered to basically work for free to gain valuable experiance, and fluffed up my CV to gain some interviews (elaborated slightly on my true experience, has anyone out there done this out of pure frustration???), but I went for an initial panel interview, and a second interview with a company near me who specialize in Industry standard PC's (Multi- Processor or Server builds for Flight sim and Military customer's), and am loving my 1st position.
    My reason for posting this thread, I want to inspire others to " Not give up", If I can do it, anyone can!!!

My analogy of my current situation / Job -Daily, I get to see the latest technology, configure it for users, and "Blow it up" and get paid for it!

Thanks for the brilliant forum, and i'll repost soon 2 let u lot know how i'm doing!!!!

Yours gratefully (and now employed), Martin Schwanke AKA Baron210 ( URL http:\[email protected] )

Certifications: Cerco CCSN comptia A+ & N+
    WIP: Cisco CCNA (Aiming for CCNP)
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good onya Baron, it's really good to hear success stories like yours!

BTW 43 is young in my book 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Great News! Glad to hear that we in some small way have helped! :biggrin

4. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Excellent news, congrats Martin! :biggrin

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  5. magic

magic Banned

well done !

6. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

I'm inspired! Great news and good luck. :biggrin

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  7. Duckie

Duckie Nibble Poster

Congrats, glad you're enjoying it :)

Certifications: MCDST, MOS 2003
  8. Baron210

Baron210 Bit Poster

Thanks for all of your support - Been in the Job for three weeks now, and I'm doing fine so far (A1 on the job training building and configuring Laptops, rack mounted multi-board multi processor PC's and Servers) + gained valuable experience on Compact PCI hardware too and Military grade computers, but I've been offered another job starting at weekends only (so I can "suck it and see" whilst retaining my weekly job), contracting for high st. banks involving desktop and server backups and troubleshooting, also comes with a vehicle and fuel card, I think its a case of "it's easier to get a job whilst in a job already.
    This one's contracting, with a possibility of eventually turning to perm, I think I can go further faster with this one!

Don't really know which way to go, but it's nice to have oppertunity knocking on your door.

Thanks Guy's (Girls?) , Mart... :p :p :p

Certifications: Cerco CCSN comptia A+ & N+
    WIP: Cisco CCNA (Aiming for CCNP)
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Wow, I missed this one. Really well done, Martin - congrats. You have shown that hard work really does pay off. And also, thanks for popping back on here to inspire others :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity