In Cooling Off Period With Advent IT Training

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ohmygawd, Apr 3, 2008.

1. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Let me put it this way. At this company, my direct boss is in favour of training. He calls it a "necessity of the industry". That being said, I'm allocated 10-training days per year. Sounds decent? Of those I must allocate 5-days for Technical, 3 for PM, and 2 for Behavioural. However, all need to be approved (fit into my role somehow) by my boss and costs are always an issue. Training can include courses, tests, conferences, etc...

At that rate how would I ever stay on top of the industry? 10-days are great (better than nothing), but not nearly enough to keep up. BTW, last year I went to Networkers, blew my 5-tech days on Cisco propaganda :blink (but it was a blast)

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Quite a lot of employers will not pay for your certifications, they expect you to do it of your own back. The company were I work the IT manager likes its experienced techs to get certs that show their experience, such as the CCNA as the techs are slowly introduced into the hubs/switches and routers (over a year or more) that my company uses. They do not expect the techs to get the CCNA quickly or get into the whole CISCO thing immediately but they expect you to learn & to do it in your own time.

My employer also really vets people who come into the company who say they have MCSE or CCNA as they are expected to have the experience to go along with it. My employer would chose someone with a little experience and no certs over someone who has certs and no experience.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. nick it wanna be

nick it wanna be New Member

yeah i know how you feel have you got the first module yet?
    it seems too easy, but what i did is called the tutor line... they are so good put my mind at rest.male me with any other q's and well sort them out togetherhow u getting on with comp a+?