in about an hour

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, Apr 4, 2005.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

:) im about to have a course interview in an hour or so with NITLc is there anyone out there who did the little test that they have online and if so did you do any good at it , im just curious as it seemed to be more of an IQ test and i still dont know the results i presume i get thme today , hopefulle ill get 18 out of 20 id be miffed with anything lower. also does anyone fancy taking an online apprentice under their wing so i could ask you certain questions about computer etc as this would always bea great help, via img ?? and does anyone know wjhat the latest version of linux is as ill get it and put it on the spare computer and have a play with it as im sure they will be more used generally in the next few years thanks all for the previous replies and welcomes

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Mod note: moved to newbie forum. Nugget

To hopefully answer a couple of your questions; check out the training and development forum about them, there seems to be mixed reactions about them- more favourable than not; as for an online apprentice- this place is a great place to start so feel free to ask any questions you like; which version of linux were you thinking of- there are so many that it's nearly impossible to name them all but red hat is the one used in most businesses today, check out the linux forum for more great info.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

cheers nugget i didnt realise there was somany different versions of linux, i thought there would be a set up like windows ie 98 2000 nt etc, oh well you learn new things everyday.i only want it so i can familiarise myself with it as im sure they are going to be on the up so to speak , unless microsoft can keep the monopoly ??. i do have a question for you , when you but a peice of hardware say a network card adapter and it doesnt have the windows test cert so whje you insatll it you have to click continue anyway, is this cedrt easily obtained by microsoft saying to the company well well grant you the cert status for the sumn of som many pounds etc or is it just to do with security issues like they sat on their website?? just a thought thanks anyway mate

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It's more to do with the fact that the company hasn't handed over the driver source code to M$ so they can check it over. When they do this the driver then gets a digital certificate to say it's M$ approved. In this way M$ hope to stop damage to their precious OS by badly coded device drivers.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Have a look at Knoppix. Its a Linux distro that is on a single cd and boots and runs from your cd drive. Its a good way to try Linux, and will be a very useful tool in your IT career. You can download the .ISO for free from here. I never did an on-line test for NITLC, Computeach had one in their info booklet. I am going to do a dual boot with Suse Linux and Windows 98. There are lots and lots of different Linux distros.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree. Knoppix is the way to go if you know little or nothing about Linux. You don't have to touch your Windows machine in terms of dual booting so it is quite safe.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Bit Defender do a re-vamped version of Knoppix called Linux Defender. Its decked out with their anti-virus and other tools more specific to repair/disinfect/recover Windows and Linux systems. Another free download. The only thing that bothers me about Knoppix and LinuxDefender is the Captive NTFS support for writing to NTFS partitions. Having to download the drivers from Microsoft cos XP SP2 ones are not supported is a bit annoying...... But still a good bit of kit.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation