Implimenting HP Integrated Lights-Out (iLO)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gingerdave, May 7, 2009.

1. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Afternoon All

As it says above we are looking at implementing HP's iLO technology on the servers that are supported within our server base and was wondering if any of you had experiance with the product and subsquently had any tips or things to look out for as we go down this route.

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

Not really experienced but had a play with my ML350/380 servers, my experiences ..

It had a seperate network connection logon allowed me to turn the server on/off, check all the hardware logs
    and do a graphical remote control all software/OS independently (you didnt even need an OS). I think the idea is you take off the details off the tag and connect them in the rack and thats the last time you touch them as all can be done remotely.

Thats all I got to do with mine (havent many so no point), lots of management tools came supplied, things like monitoring tools.

Looked great for an inaccessible server rack or a large amount of servers.

Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646
  3. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

plus...

set the IP of the iLO card in the BIOS

gain access to this from another machine on the network (using a web browser https://...), it's a java app

or from the Outside, via a VPN set-up..

or direct from external IP, if you have the correct port forwards (there are a few to configure for it to work)

basic version is free, allows to to power on/off, check logs and gain access from OS onwards

advanced version can be purchased, allows you to see the BIOS POST messages and some other goodies...

No special skills required to set this up (from my opinion), except you need to make sure your DHCP server will reserve the IP of your choice, if you're planning to do this on the same subnet.

iLO is very useful when it comes to situations like the normal network card is not working
    you can mount an ISO image as a virtual drive, and it'll allow you to do almost everything, including installing the OS, remotely -

Feels like god when you have it. Useful for companies that outsource their IT, as this will definitely save a callout charge.

Useful if you need to reboot the server, e.g. windowsupdates or any other changes, should it not come back up (very often the case), iLO allows you to fix things

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...