Immutable Laws of The Server Room

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by zebulebu, Oct 31, 2009.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

To get warm? Dude, have you ever been in a real server room? You'll likely freeze your nipples off, bro! :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. BosonMichael

Wow. My first - and last - OS/2 Warp install was 12 years ago, in my first real IT job. Haven't seen it since.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Yeah seriously mate. Basically a firm had a massively important piece of software running on OS2 Warp, probably dating back to the days when IBM's salesmen were very good :biggrin and to get it rewritten onto a Windows platform would cost them X amount of million, which they couldn't afford. It wouldn't have cost so much if they had done it years ago but they left it and now its a massive project :eek:

So you are more right than you know about being able to support legacy OS's 8)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

The place i work gets really cold so i go sit in the server room and read a book. It only has fans and gets quite warm.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  5. BosonMichael

If it's warm in your server room... you're not doing it right. :p

6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

LOL:), this can't be for real as in any well ventilated server room it should be the opposite. In interpretation meaning very cold and not warm by any means, unless purposely turned down or malfunctioning.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LMFAO @ this - last week I had two USB drives shipped from our parent company in the US (long story short, it was faster to copy 1.7Tb of images to them and ship them here rather than do it across the WAN). I set a robocopy job up to copy them from a PC on our workbench across to a server in the colo (no USB 2 card) and it punked about an hour and a half after I left the office. Nothing in the event viewer the next day when I got in - and the PC was turned off, so I put it down to a power blip. Set the job up again before I left that day - and it punked about ten minutes later than the night before. Couldn't for the life of me see what was causing it - then I hit on the idea of checking the CCTV cameras. Sure enough, a f*&$in' cleaner was unplugging it to plug her sodding vaccuum cleaner in!

Eastern European non-English-speaking cleaning staff FTL!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I worked at a place that had call recording software running on OS2. Horrid, horrid POS that was.

9. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Our server room occasionally gets VERY warm as the various people involved in setting up the necessary for it 5 years ago when we bought the office never communicated directly so the damn things not hooked into the UPS which was specced specifically to be able to handle it. Any time the power goes out the unit goes off and the temperature shoots up so high that the phone system with its ailing fans which would involve business crippling downtime to replace (it was designed by total morons) overheats and shuts down.

The rest of the servers on the other hand continue running as if nothing at all has happened, but only since I jammed an upright office fan at the back of the rack to suck some of the hot air out...

The architect and the company who specced and installed our air con have both since gone bust.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  10. JK2447

I know there have been discussions about businesses using Vista out in the wild but really when you think about what horrors some companies have kept like OS2, we should count our blessings :lol:

I noticed you have miserable old git under your username :lol: I think you are a good laugh and you are only as old as the woman you feel I say so I feel 24 :biggrin

Shocking. Dangerous situation to be in as I've been sent to loads of power outages, they are a speciality of mine :biggrin Its not uncommon for your aircon to be off UPS because they will eat those batteries in no time, especially if they are the big industrial sized units. Our critical sites have back-up generators that kick in but in sites where this isn't as critical, the best thing you can do is plan a structured shutdown of your kit to avoid data loss. We have a device that texts and emails us when the power goes off then starts shutting servers down, I'll get you some info on it if you want? It also texts and emails about water detection and fire.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Our UPS monitoring software provides monitoring and shutdown control in the event of a power outage, but only if you buy the agent for every server. Every time the subject comes up my boss waves it off and says we can handle it manually. I'm going to keep pushing this one though, particularly bearing in mind the insider information I gained on the current state of the grid near our office.

Also going to keep pushing for a vent to the outside world at the back of the rack so I can pull that damn fan out.

As said our UPS is seriously over specced for our server requirements so we would have a reasonable amount of battery time, but the information just didn't get passed around.

Oh, and just to throw a little extra bit of extra screwiness in, we generate our own power with a sodding great waterwheel but because of money constraints we couldn't hook it up to power the building directly (has to go out to the grid and back) so it can't act as the most kick ass backup power supply ever when the powers out.

12. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good point there sir.

I think the problem is that when a UPS is installed people make the mistake or wanting to run everything off it for as long as possible.

Generally any non essential servers I will hook up to the UPS and configure them to power down automatically. Critical servers get the full UPS treatment, such as email servers, so if the power goes down overnight then at least email is being collected.

For the other servers I sometimes configure them to power back on automatically when power is restored. The ILO cards in HP servers are ideal for this.

As said all of this can be monitored remotely so even if you get the “server down” text at 3am the issue can often be resolved with no input from you so no need to drive to work like a man possessed to fix a problem that doesn’t exist.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. JK2447

Absolutely mate, the UPS is there to give you enough time to shut everything down safely or to get you through a minor blip in the grid. I've seen the power down for hours in the north west so identifying your critical servers is essential as there may be some things you don't want on your UPS, printers for example.

Its really weird you mentioned the HP lights out cards because you can get one for my ML115 at home and I was thinking about trying to pick one up cheap :) Anotehr thing I looked at was WOWLAN but it seems only Intel are doing this right now but its all interesting stuff.

Automation will put us all out of a job one day no doubt but at 3am I bet you are glad you put that in place mate :biggrin Our other halfs are probably even gladder :biggrin

14. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well the phone has almost been chucked out the window after the 3am text a few times. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. BosonMichael

...except when the water's frozen. :p

16. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Thankfully it doesn't tend to get anywhere near cold enough for that :p

17. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Stick around. When the Atlantic conveyor fails due to melting of the North polar ice cap it will. Of course, your office will be under about 45 feet of non-seasonal tundra then, so keeping a waterwheel (or, indeed, your office) runmning will be the least of your troubles! :)