Image issue--please help thee

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by IThurts, Mar 17, 2008.

1. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Hi there,

Basically, Have created some buttons via photoshop. Had used the relevant img tags to insert into my CLIENT SIDE INCLUDE FILE (javascript). The buttons show up fine on my local machine so...:D

However,i upload everything onto my host and two of my four buttons do not show up...:blink

The structure on my host is an exact replica to that on my local machine. I thought something might be wrong in regards to the include file, but then thought "well why does TWO show as an image, but no the other two"???

nothing seems wrong in terms of spelling/syntax as like i said...i simpyl copied the files from my local machine (which were displaying fine in my browser...all FOUR images were appearing), so everything is intact as it should be, and due to everythin working ok on local, shouldnt have to amend the copied files.

Like said...structure is the same too... ie; on local i have images/button1.jpg, and host also is images/button1.jpg. I pondered this stucture thing for a while but again realised that two are already showing so something is stopping these other two buttons from displaying.

Just for your info, the image does "appear" but has the usual red cross to say..."nah...cnt be bothered to display today mate"...:dry
    Further note that the buttons are in <ul> form. coding seems to be spot on in the four <li>'s for the four buttons too.

Thanks for your assistance!!!:D

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  2. Mark-K

Mark-K Bit Poster

Tried reloading your cache with CTRL+F5?

Also can you access the images directly through your browser? Right click the X and view image or type out the url. It might have corrupted while uploading, try re-uploading the images.

Certifications: CCNA, JNCIA, JNCIS, JNCIP
    WIP: JNCIE
  3. rota919

rota919 New Member

I will agree with Mark.
    It sounds like the scripting is working fine but it is just a mater of the image not being found.

Just a tip... Use Firefox with the "Developer Toolbar" installed. It is then easy enough to clear all or only some of the cache.
    In Firefox you can jyst rightclick on the image and then view image. That will show you the exact URL the script is trying to read the image from.

Can you give us the URL and we can help you debug this problem.

4. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

I click "show picture" but nothing appears, no new window, nothing. Typing the url doesnt work either. Typing the url of the visible button image comes up fine...obviously.:dry

Further note that the buttons that ARE visible.... when i right click these, the "show picture" text is greyed out...but not really my issue so forget about that...i just thought that the show picture text should still be selectable?:eek:

ill try re-uploading tonight.i swear i did that already but ill try again.
    Any more ideas?

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sounds like the missing buttons are really missing...that is, they aren't at the location where they are expected.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Right click said undisplaying image and select properties and check the address(url) like the picture below

i feel its more a relative/absolute path problem of course that is based on the assumption that the images are uploaded like what trip said

[edit]
    after reading your last post I think trip is spot on!!

[Another Edit]
    or a CASE issue widows/linux

Attached Files:

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  7. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Well i tried the suggested to no avail. :cry:

I cant think of any reason why they wouldnt appear. Like i said, all images have been uploaded and re-uploaded just in case into my images folder to my host. two of the 4 buttons display, the other two just do not want to know.

Could it be anything to do with the filename LENGTH. As one of the filenames/path is "images/buttonembeddedcsstyles.jpg".

Could it be something to do with the client-side include file syntax? It is in <ul> <li> form.

I just do not understand why the images appear fine locally on my machine, but when uploaded in the EXACT same format to my host, 2 images do not show.
    The files are indeed where expected as i looked last nite. Filenames match their case/path.

Any other ideas guys?:blink

8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

read my post and post the url of you non displaying image :rolleyes:

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Agreed. It'll be a lot easier for everyone to understand the situation if we can see it for ourselves.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Can you right click on the page and 'View Source' and check the image paths on the source code?

HTH
    NB:)

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

<div id="navbar">
    <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="navbar.js"></script>
    <!--see javascript client side include file for content of navbar-->
    </div>

The above is all i can provide right now as obviously the links to the buttons are inside that navbar.js file which i have at home. Will display when i get home.

http://amr-portfolio.freetzi.com/images/buttonembeddedcssstyles.jpg

The above is what you were referring to Thomas/Trip. I notice when you open the above, the link says "images/no.gif".....?

12. Mark-K

Mark-K Bit Poster

The fact that that url points to another image might be that your host disallows remote image linking. Make sure the URL's are all relative to your site.

13. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

So why are the other two buttons visible? Its the same deal, just a different link obviously.

What do you mean by "make sure URL's are all relative to your site?"....excuse my ignorance:oops:

14. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

15. Mark-K

Mark-K Bit Poster

Just checked your site quickly, I can't quite see why the images won't show, it all seems fine.

I downloaded buttonembeddedcssstyles.jpg and it is 17,263 bytes in size but does not display anything when opened so I'm guessing its corrupt.

16. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Yep..image attached. THanks for your help once again. If i understood the link correct in regards to relative/absolute paths...my relative path is correct. I keep saying it but its in the same folder as the two images that are working, so a path issue doesnt seem to be the issue imho.

Attached Files:

17. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

In your navbar.js file if you replace the links to the images that don't work with ones that do, ie images\buttonhome.jpg do they display? If so, I think it could be a problem with the js file.

HTH
    NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  18. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

replacing as suggested above does indeed make the home button show instead of the required button. What could be the issue with the file? Ill re-save it and re-upload to see if this helps.
    <EDIT>
    FINALLY figured out what it was: i saved the images as different names. I believe that possibly my anti-virus or whatever it is that stops pop-ups thought that my filename suggested just that....that the image was a popup therefore not allowing it to show. I renamed buttonhtmlbasics to just buttonbasics and it works. The other button works fine too when i saved it as something else.

Thanks for the help guys and a valuable lesson i have learnt there!! DONT save your images as something a popup blocker or anti-virus might not like!