Image a server, then restore it!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sparky, Oct 10, 2007.

1. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Sparky,

Then you may run into driver mismatch issues when the copied image realizes that it's not in the same original "body." There's only so far that you should expect that Windows is "intelligent" enough to reconfigure it's drivers and stuff so it'll "adjust" to the new server.

Also, don't forget the added license for your client to be running the second server operating system on your server even temporarily.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, thanks for the advice.

I will have to test a few things before I take the plunge and do this :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Sparky, you can make and restore image using ghost. Unless I am missing something, then maybe you can fill me in?:rolleyes:

Edit: NVM I know what you mean now. You want to be able to basically have the exact same setup but on a much bigger partion. It's a little late in the night:oops:.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

So Sparky, do we have a progress report? 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I was asking one of the guys at work today about resizing the dynamic partion, he was saying that a tool called G partED might be able to resize the partition. He said it comes with most live linux cd's such as Ubuntu.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Sparky

I had quick test on my server but Acronis failed. I was having issues with the server though, I was trying to move the data from an IDE drive to a SCSI drive but I was having issues with the SCSI controller to start with.

Going to fire in a second IDE drive and test again.

Cheers for the G partED link, Ive added to it my "potential solution" list. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Sparky,

How were you moving the data? From within Acronis?

8. Sparky

Basically there is an option to move the whole system partition to another empty drive; it reconfigures the MBR as well. After a reboot it threw an error.

When I installed the SCSI drive a few errors were generated when I tried to format it, I think it may have been a problem with the driver for the SCSI card. Going to rebuild the server with two IDE drives as a test...

9. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Sparky,

How did you install the operating system onto the server with the SCSI card?

10. Sparky

The O\S was installed on the IDE hard drive although there was a SCSI card in the server with no drives. I swapped a drive out of another server and installed it. There was nothing on the drive.

I have removed the drive and now have two IDE drives installed, one hosting the O\S and the other has no data on it.

11. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Sparky,

When you say "The O\S was installed on the IDE hard drive..." which computer was that IDE hard drive in, the client's server, your server, or now a third server?

12. Sparky

This is my test server, the clients server has a SCSI raid controller with 5 disks in a RAID 5 array.

13. Sparky

It worked. Made a backup image to the new drive, formatted drive C:, rebooted with the disaster recovery disk and then pulled the image back onto the C: drive. 8)

Now just need to figure out how to do this on the live server. No free disk space slots and there is no USB ports. May have to pull the image over the network or even a DVD, don’t the think the drive will support DVDs or even re-writable CDs, it’s an old server. :blink

Need a coffee now! :biggrin

14. Sparky

Just to update my own thread! :biggrin

Managed to get this done over the weekend, just needed 50000 cups off coffee!

Pulled the plug on the internet connection at 3pm on Friday and which meant all replication changes etc would be backed up at the other sites. Replaced the 100MB switch with a 1000MB one and then installed a PC with a 500MB IDE slave drive to hold the server image.

Took a full image of the server to the PC, was around 140GB when it had completed. Pulled the image onto my spare server and booted it up. It blue screened but after a repair install of the OS everything booted ok and I could log on with no problems.

Crossed my fingers and deleted the partitions on the live server and then pulled the image from the PC and resized the partitions to something that was way more suitable!

Logged onto the server and brought the internet connection back up and allowed the replication and mail routing to kick back in, happy days!

Think I got it all finished around 5 in the morning or something like that! :gmorning

15. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Did you still have to do a full day's work despite finishing that at 5am?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Is this a bad time to mention, you did the wrong server? :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  18. Sparky

LOL! :biggrin

@Wizard, finished at 5am Saturday morning so had a sleep when I got home. Still made it out for a few beers on the Saturday night :biggrin

19. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

Very well done mate, whe nyou say you did a "repair install of the os" what do you mean

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE
  20. JBGJONB3

JBGJONB3 New Member

All I can say is test it and test it again. DC's are obviously important. Had many great expereinces with ghost but also had some nightmares. Use a Gb Switch and a Ghost Server, always seems to be the quickest.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE, MCITP, CCNP, MCTS, VCI