I'm not stingy but...

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by Josiahb, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Enough people have been banging on about how good Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is that I thought it was probably worth a look, so I headed on to Steam to purchase this finely crafted game, only to find that its priced at £39.99!

I mean come on!

Its the most expensive single game on Steam, its £34.99 more or less everywhere else as well.

This isn't the first time that a new title has left me gawping at the sticker price either, and its particularly difficult to understand when other new releases of good quality are coupled with a far more reasonable price. Assasin's Creed 2 is £29.99, Dragon Age: Origins is available for 15 quid so why exactly is CoD:MW2 so expensive? I appreciate its a better deal than those looking to buy it on xbox 360 who are staring at a £54.99 RRP but when exactly did the games pass into the realms of being stupidly priced?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I'll tell you this for a start too: The single player is apparently bloody short. I don't buy a game for the multiplayer (thats an added extra in my book - should I choose to use it). Definately not worth the cost.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I managed to get my copy for PC for less than £25 found it in tescos i think. And yes the single player is short but good. I dont like teh multiplayer game matching, should have stuck to dedicated servers. And some of the special Ops can only be done with 2 players.

Is it worth £30 or more? nope, is it worth £25 or less, maybe, if you can get it for £15 snap it up!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

For the two days after the release day it was priced at 19.99in Morrisons and Tescos, then went up to 39.99. I guess they cudn't resist lol! I like multiplayer could play it for hours :D:twisted: but thats just my opinion. But yeah campaign is too short!

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'm sure the RRP on the game is as high as £54.99?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well i was one of the fools who paid £45 and even queued up as i was that excited about it. But a few hours before i got it i was hearing that prices were as low as £25 from the likes of tesco etc which really pissed me of. I dont know how they can justify the price difference and the shop were i got mine from actually made us wait until the 12midnight deadline.

As for the game i only bought it for the multiplayer, as the main game is already pre determined, if there were more than one out come where you had to think about what you did rather than do the same scene again then id probably have a bash, the 2 player bits not bad but then again i spose its pre determined an all.

The online multiplayer is great for the weekends where most of my mates stya in these days, as they are at the 30s age and a social life does not exist anymore. You do get some idiots on xbox live but thats the fun, the amount of people who have 'had my mother' and also the millions of people who have 'teabagged' me really makes me laugh, what makes it worse is that im laughing at them with their lack of any insight into how to really insult anyone, then i take my shotgun blammmmmm and thats likew rubbing salt in the wound.

Also you get the americans, who like to remind us that they are the best at everything they do, i mean arent we lucky that they helped us out in the war, any of them, well thats what they say lol.

As for waiting for games to come down in price i dont know how long it will be before MW2 does, possibly when they launch MW3, and if they do a MW3 i wont queue up ill wait and see where i can get it from cheaper first. I did this tactic for fifa 10 which was released at40 quid, i got it for 25 the other day, saving 15 quid and what that was like waiting a month.

I think the gaming industry needs to take a look at itself in regards to pricing, as sometimes the games which are hyped up like call of duty, world of war whech also cost 40 quid when released, did not live up to the expectations that i got from playing call of duty 4. This is because of the 2 different developers, Cod 4 was activision and the other was infrogrammes???? i Think. But the difference in gameplay was miles apart andyou cant get your money back when you buy these games. I know they have demos in the shops, but have you tried to have a go, when theres loads of people around. From now on ill download on xbox and play the demos for free.

Anyway, rant over

|Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  7. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I think the thing which is pissing me off most with this is the fact that (at least according to this site: http://www.vgchartz.com/) CoD:MW2 is the 4th highest selling game on any format this year and its only been out 5 weeks. They've shifted nearly 10 million copies (and this site actually has no stats for the PC version). Thats a whole ****e load of money.

Other game studios and publishers survive with far less of a profit margin (even with an abnormally high development cost they have got to be filling the bonus meters quite nicely) so why exactly should I pay out that much for a game again?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  8. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

As for the price drop, right up until the lunch of MW2 the orginal COD4 was still like £30!

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Meh Battlefield wins everytime :p, there where some rumors about having to pay a subscription for the online mode on the PC platform

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  10. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Battlefield 2 was good, didnt like 2142. Bad company was good fun - in single player didnt play it online though.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. itskillsguy

itskillsguy Nibble Poster

12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It isn't coming down in price because people are still paying full price for it...
    Everyone knew they didn't have to do anything to get it to completely trouser the charts for Xmas.

I got mine for about £17 as Amazon were doing 50% off your first purchase with their own credit card. So I signed up for the card, bought MW2 and threw the card in the bin.

The campaign is shortish, but tidy.
    It is a bit dark for my liking, lacking some of the humour and depth of character from the first game.
    Great storyline though, but it's hard to warm to something when everyone gets killed.
    Hey ho, don't buy a war game then. Buy that one about being a petal blowing about on a breeze.

I've never been into online multiplayer stuff, I used to get tired of being killed within ten seconds of spawning.
    But I'm totally hooked on MW3 multiplayer. Maybe it's the collection of ranks and trophies, I don't know.
    You can even hold your own (just about) when being matched against someone at level 70 when you're level 6.

For some reason I end up playing against a bunch of guys from dubious countries and I'm slightly concerned that we shouldn't be teaching them tp be SAS snipers even if it is in a virtual environment. :eek:

Which is better?
    MW1 in my opinion.

Is MW2 worth £45?
    No. As awesome as it is, it will be equally awesome in a month when it's £19.99.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD