I'm new here!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Abbey, May 30, 2006.

1. Abbey

Abbey New Member

Hi ya

I have just been recommeded to this site. Whoo I like the smileys.

I am 26, I work full time in an Estate Agents (which is so boring!) The only highlight of the day is when the stationary guy comes round. (He has nice tight pants) :biggrin

I am looking to start working in IT. I saw an advert on the box that stated people in IT get loads of money for doing very little.
    Sounds good to me...I thought give it a go!

Can anybody recommend any cheap fast track courses?

L. Ab. :wub

Certifications: A'levels, ECDL, NVQ hair dressing
    WIP: ?
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi and welcome! :biggrin

If these IT people get paid lots of money for doing very little can you tell me where they work? Coz I want a job! :biggrin

Sorry to shatter the illusion, and after only one post, but the reality is that IT is a very hard, demanding career that is constantly evolving at a terrifying pace!

8)

4. Abbey

Abbey New Member

Dear Simon..thingy

I like your little man. Very funny did you design that yourself?

There are so many people in IT. Even my next door neighbour is doing it and he used to be a painter.

Maybe you are looking in the wrong place?

Are you still studying?

L. AB

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Trust us abbey, no one is looking in the wrong place, the big pay days are long gone, I'm looking to break in it to it, but with only limited experience I'd be lucky to get £14k as an entry level job. But I'm willing to do it because I like the field :)

6. Abbey

Abbey New Member

Hello Wizard

I quite like the new Doctor Who he's so sweet.

Surely that can't be true I see it so much in adverts and I have spoken to Computeach (nice people). Who said they are screaming out for IT people and the minimum is £18K.

Why don't you give them a ring?

Maybe your just in the wrong place like simon..thingy

L. AB :biggrin

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! ah you wouldnt happen to have a role for me too would you? good luck if you in for the money because its a very flat market these days...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Abbey,

Do not believe what training companies tell you about what salaries you can earn, it's just a ploy to get you to sign up. I'd do a little research on the various providers out there, it will open your eyes.

9. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Welcome to cf :biggrin

10. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

granted, i do make a fair amount of money, but not for "doing very little", as you put it. and i didn't miraculously end up with this job either. i work very hard, and i have to make sacrifices. nothing's for free, abbey. in any case, welcome.

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF!

I can say - with nearly 30 years in the IT industry behind me - that 'big salaries' are a myth, particularly for people starting out.

After you have gained some experience it isn't quite so bad - but don't believe the hype from training providers. Remember - they are trying to sell you something!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Seems to me you've got it all arse about. It more like loads of work for very little money.

I think there is a company doing boot camps in india you might be interested in.

WTF??

Welcome to the forum.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hi - Welcome to CF... and thats all im gonna say :biggrin

14. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.. 8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

hey and welcome to the forums.

To be honest, depending on your IT position in the company you could be making very little or a lot, it also depends on the company size and budget etc. For someone who makes a lot of money they have to work hard like a network admin, etc. Now if you are talking about computer technician its an easier job, but still sometimes not so easy, but the down side to a computer technician is that you "usualy" make less money then a network admin. Now I dont mean to biast or anything, its just a fact, we all have to start at the buttom and work our way up, I mean I love to do some of the computer technicians work nothing is wrong with that, but to be making a lot of money it definitly requires a lot of hard work, dedication, commitment and sacrifces and in the end its all worth it. Anyways good luck with IT its an interresting field no doubt about that.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello 8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+