I'm having difficulty deciding what to do - help!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by ian2403, Jun 27, 2005.

1. ian2403

ian2403 New Member

Hi everyone,

Basically I'm tired of my job and want to move into a career in IT, but I'm having difficutly deciding which is the best way of going about this!

I was thinking of going to the NITLC and doing the Technical and Systems Engineer course. I know there's a lot of parts to this course and it looks fairly daunting, but I figured that if I'm going to part with the huge amount of money that they are asking for, then I may as well get as much out as I can.

Does this sound like a good idea? I've never done a proper computer course before, but I've been troubleshooting problems for just about everybody I know for the last 5 years, so I do have some knowledge of computers (although probably pitiful compared to you guys!!).

Please let me know what you all think as I haven't committed to anything as yet.

Thanks!

Ian

Certifications: BSc (Hons)
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Ian,

Take a "search" in the employment section.
    Here you will see different opinons for and against each way of acheiving certs and good advice on breaking into IT :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. ian2403

ian2403 New Member

Thanks Boyce for the swift reply :D

I had a quick look in the employment bits as you suggested and I think I might have changed my mind slightly.

Does it sound better to have a bash at A+ and/or Network+ and then see if I can get a job using these qualifications so that I can also get a bit of experience before moving further?

I don't want to be stuck with too many certificates and not enough experience (which I think I may do if I go for everything that I originally planned).

Will the cost of doing this be lower than the Technical and Systems Engineer course? I'm not really sure how these learning centres charge (and they don't seem to like advertising their prices either :rolleyes: )

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Generally, our Guys tend to advise that with the level of knowledge you have so far, then at least A+, and most likely N+ too, should be pretty achievable through self-study, leaving you less certs to actually pay someone else for.

You already have an Honours degree - you obviously can provide the commitment m8 - I'd say review your options once again before signing up for a large chunk of moolah with someone else.

Have a good think before signing anything :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I think the best way to go at the moment is with A+ and then Network+ with self study.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Ian,

I agree with the rest of the boys. A+ and Network+ are a good start and are acheiveable at home.
    I have looked in to it before I started and they provide a good foundation should you want to progress to MCSA, MCSE.
    You will have plenty of support here. I, for one am on that road now :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. ian2403

ian2403 New Member

Thanks for all the help, I think I'm sorted now!

My current plan is to do A+, then Network + and see what happens after I've completed those two. I shall go and buy my books today!!

Thanks again! :D