I'm going mad, Server 2003

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Ropenfold, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It really depends on the router here. If it is an ADSL router with 4 port switch (common setup) and you patch into that into the WAN interface in the server you are actually just creating another LAN.

So you are going WAN -> LAN (with nothing in it) -> LAN (behind the server)

With this setup you might as well just save yourself the grief and patch the server into the router\switch and configure the DHCP correctly.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

I am not disagreeing with you, yes you are creating multi subnets(or lans) i just said it is another way of doing it, there are some benefits of sending everything through the server, such as secirity, AV, firewall, proxy etc.. and monitoring.

You don't actually need dhcp on the router you could use a static ip on the wan nic i think.

Certifications: A+
  3. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Well I have now added an XP client to the domain, Thanks everyone, particularly Boyce for your advice. I set some static IP addresses and its now working fine.

It seems part of the problem is the fact I've dual booted XP on my Dell Studio Laptop and Dell doesn't support this, there are a few pesky yellow question marks in the device manager, which I can only presume one of them is a network controller I need. I dug out an old laptop with XP on it and added that with no problem.

Does anyone know if anywhere I could get drivers for XP for a dell studio 1535 laptop? I've had a look in the past. If not its gonna have to be done on an ancient Dell Latitude, which both hinges on the screen have broken on, I have to rest the screen against a load of books to stop it falling over. Its well Rinky Dink! :biggrin

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Looks like its Vista only mate..

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Theres probably XP drivers around somewhere, if you know all the devices and the chips you can probably find the drivers from the OEM.

If you write down what the drivers are in vista and look at the laptop specs and hunt around a bit I'm sure you can sort.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Glad you got it sorted. You can always setup DHCP later on.

Yellow question marks means that the hardware is not working correctly. Dell keep most software and drivers on their site for a long time after the models have been sold to be fair. Go to the support site and enter the tag number (usually on the underneth of the laptop, or rear of desktop) and you should be able to get what you need.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I've tried it Boyce they don't do drivers to downgrade to XP! It comes with vista preinstalled, I've tried before.

Looks the old faithful dell latitude is gonna have to be used. Its like Rocky in Rocky 6!

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  8. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

In DM click on driver details and you should get the id of the driver, like ven_8086 dev_2742 etc

Then google that.

You probaby have xp home on the dell laptop and xp home doesn't support domains alhought there is a 3rd party software that allows you to do it on home.

Certifications: A+