I'm Back!... and.. Professional Jealousy?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by linuxuser, Sep 27, 2020.

1. linuxuser

linuxuser Nibble Poster

Hello I'm back!

Last time I posted, I was going to get promoted above my peers into a team I had newly joined... but the manager who told me I was being promoted left the business unexpectedly... So I had to work my way up the long way around from a Technician to a Senior Technician and now to a Team Leader (The later being a recent promotion)

Yesterday I found myself receiving some very unplesant comments and accusations from one of my team members - Mainly blaming me for the amount of work that they have and saying how I get all the praise when he is the one doing all the hardwork (Bare in mind I've only just stepped into the role so not sure why he thinks im the root of all problems). He specifically made a comment about the Head of Department saying thank you to me after I dealt with a major service outage... So I'm thinking its jealousy.

Have you encountered jealousy in your careers and how did you deal with it?

Certifications: ITIL v3, IS Foundation
    JK2447 likes this.
  2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

To be fair it’s usually the guys on the front line doing the work whilst management are praised, even though they did nothing.. this is common in IT from my experience.. so not going to definitely say it’s jealousy tbh, hard to really give an opinion without the two sides of the story.. but if I was to guess, I doubt it.

3. linuxuser

linuxuser Nibble Poster

The only praise I got which he seems to have brought up is how quickly I dealt with a Major Service Outage. He wasn't on shift, I was actually by myself - so no one else was involved. I picked it up, communicated it to the business and resolved it. For me it was like any other day. I didn't ask for any brownie points but clearly someone was watching.

I should also point out, that although I have received a promotion, I am still doing my normal job until my role is replaced. It's not the first time he has snapped at me without me saying anything or doing anything, and I don't understand what his issue is.

I lost a family member and was off for a large period of time, when I returned to work I got the impression he wasn't talking to me and when he did he was always in a mood. This was strange for me as I always just go in, do my job and go home.. so not sure what his problem is... For someone you don't see for months and hardly work with to act like that...

4. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

Hell hath no fury like a medium grade techy who thinks he lost out on a promotion because "politics", especially the ones who are actually missing out because of "body odour and openly staring at ladies' chests while muttering about hentai".

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Dunno maybe it is maybe it isn't he may simply not like you for a different reason other than professional jealousy, if you're his "superior" why don't you challenge his behavior? ask him what his problem is?

6. linuxuser

linuxuser Nibble Poster

True, I should challenge him on it. Especially due to my new role.. I’ve never been the confrontational type of person. I guess I’ll have to learn. Wish everyone could just get along - otherwise you look stupid when other teams see it