I'm after some advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by crazy horse, Aug 7, 2015.

1. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Hello,
    First off, I can't believe it's nearly 4 years since my last post in these forums!

I feel I am at a bit of a juncture in my career at the moment. I'm not particularly enjoying my role as Group IT Manager and I've had the longing for a while to get back in to hands on technical IT. However, I've not been hands on for about 24 months and feel a little out of touch with some of the latest technology releases.

Do any of you have experience of going from a purely management role back in to a technical role? If so, what steps did you take to make that happen and what challenges did you face getting a job?

Thanks
    Crazy Horse

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hiya mate,
    Yeah we're all saying it's been four years, how dare you etc ha ha I am of course kidding!

Ive not done it to be honest but I recently went from a technical role into a design role and wasn't sure at all for the first six months. To be honest with you, it seems to be a difficult move if you stay in the same company but I know a few who have felt exactly the same as you. Knowing what I know now, I personally would see my career out as a manager but wouldn't consider it until then, but that's just me.
    I'd say your best bet is to look at your certifications mate. No better way to show you have relevant knowledge than to get some up to date certifications. It may prove difficult as you may not be able to get hands on, possibly if you get yourself a lab setup it will all come flooding back.
    Sorry if that's not much use to you. For what it's worth I think sometimes you have to follow your heart not your head if the maths stacks up, can still earn what you need etc
    Cheers
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    crazy horse likes this.
  3. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Really appreciate you taking the time to reply on this one Jim, really helpful.

I'll keep mulling it over, but suspect I'll stay managing for the time being.

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I personally never had a pure management role, but I've gone from Desktop -> Architecture/Design roles and the best advice I can give, is to show your interest in the area that you want to focus on. This could be anything from volunteering at your current gig or maybe even doing some technical certifications.

Either way, you have a few ways of going about it. One question that I have for you, is there room for you to switch to a technical role in the company where you currently work?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Not with my current company, I've gone too far down the management track in my opinion. My grade/salary would not translate well moving back on to a technical track and I don't think the company would support me in the move.

Thanks for the advice and response!