If you're learning SQL, what's your background?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jo74, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Len

Len Byte Poster

I was reading a book that I got from the college library on SQL. But then I had to return it because it was the end of term and I wouldn't be going back :(

Damn, I was enjoying that book aswell.. I'm gonna have to hunt for that book on Amazon.

I did learn some Mysql aswell ;/

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
    Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

SQL is an open standard, it comes in various versions over the years like SQL 92 etc. The standard does not cover everything that the DB vendors wish to do so they change and extend the standard, also they had their own syntax before the standard was introduced.

The different extended versions are called T-SQL, PL/SQL, etc as ken pointed out.

SQL itself can be further divided in DDL and DML, these are groups of statements that define data or query data.

To make use of SQL you need an RDBMS - Relational Database Management System, this is what the products are like Oracle DB, MS SQL Server DB, MySQL DB.

As ken said look around web plenty information.

There are many other things you will need to learn apart from SQL such as database design, normalization, optimisation, query plans, replication, etc

I would take the OU module and try and aim for a formal qualification over time.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  3. aMiGa

aMiGa New Member

Hi,

I have learnt SQL doing my degree at uni. My dissertation subject was Stored Procedures Library in MySQL, which is basically making function in SQL to use in MySQL. As you probably already aware what Stored Procedures are it is the way to go ??

I would rather use to learnt SQL to use with MySQL or Oracle rather than SQL Servers etc. Unix/Linux and Oracle is the way to go as we have already learnt that Windows like to suprise us with their own language so you never know what will be next and anyway Linux/Unix was, is and will be in the future because it's supported by World Community where Windows for example who remember windows 95 ?? these days :)

4. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Can anyone recommend a book that they've used in Relational Database theory?

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA