If you dont mind its a CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Necroscope, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

Hi ... since my last contract finished a couple of days ago i've had abit of a mess around with my cv just wanted to see what others thought of it.

Just couple of Q been told i should take the dates out of my work history and just leave month and year as most are just short term contracts.

Also under Ed+Training should i put the microsoft exams i took or leave as it is.

Also as my DOB is not on the cv should i leave off my old cse, btech and c+g certs.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+,70-210, 70-270,MCDST,ECDL,CSCS
    WIP: ITIL v3 Foundation (sent me to sleep 3 times don't think made it past page 15), 70-680
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I have to be honest mate, if I saw such short contracts I would run a mile, I would go one stage further and perhaps do what I have done with my current cv (attached), that way all people see is that you have worked for the companies mentioned, not the dates\durations.

I would put the certs in, it's what people want to see.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Richy19

Richy19 Bit Poster

couple of stuff
    first i would take out the actual dates and just leave the months in there
    second take out the MCP certification as there isnt an actual MCP, you are simply MCP certified when you get any of the other Microsoft certifications
    last not that it matters but your email is still in this version

WIP: BTEC ND IT, CCENT, A+, N+
  4. matt645

matt645 Bit Poster

As Richy said take out the MCP from the list but put it in the profile at the top, there's nothing in there to make them think they're dealing with a professional so they won't read beyond that bit.

Also I don't see whats wrong with short contracts? Roll-outs are only ever going to be within a short time frame, if you were 2nd/3rd line support and only lasting a month at a time then yes it would look bad.

You need to get some technologies in there too, recruiters trawl cv's looking for buzzwords.

5. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

Made a couple of changes to my CV. The only prob with the rollout contracts is they are only for a short time and the problems you mainly deal with are basic issues migrating .pst files and favs to IE, adding printers, file association problems and basic network connection issues etc.

Still left my school and college qualifications off as they are 20 years old and I don’t see them getting me a job as they are not IT related.

Thanks for the help

Attached Files:

WIP: ITIL v3 Foundation (sent me to sleep 3 times don't think made it past page 15), 70-680
  6. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Few things:
    1. First sentence in paragraph glows green. Not a big issue in technical skills and experience but looks odd in the introduction.
    2. Skills - I tend to use this section as keyword spam so someone can quickly see what technologies I know.
    3. Experience - Again use keywords. Software deployment? What was it? Lotus Notes, Office, something else. Every keyword increases your chances of getting a hit by a recruiter.
    4. Education and training section doesn't seem to fit at all. You can easily lose it as well as some of the descriptions of non-relevant roles.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  7. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

made some more changes to my cv. I think its starting to look better than it did.

thanks

Just found a contract that was starting in a couple weeks has been cancelled due to budget cuts :(

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The following is just my own opinions based on my own experience as an interviewee and interviewer.

CV has the following format:

Experienced

Personal information (Name address, phone, e-mail, etc)
    Post applied for
    Brief Personal Statement (including relevant skills)
    Employment History
    Professional Qualifications
    Academic Qualifications
    Additional Training (if any)
    Membership of Professional Body (if any)
    References

Entry Level

Personal information (Name address, phone, e-mail, etc)
    Post applied for
    Brief Personal Statement (including relevant skills)
    Professional Qualifications
    Academic Qualifications
    Additional Training (if any)
    Employment History
    Membership of Professional Body (if any)
    References

Then a cover letter enclosed with the CV.

Personally I would put back the MCP into the certification part of the CV and replaced Microsoft Certified Professional with IT Professional or ICT Professional in the Personal statement. MCP while it is a status, it is the first certificate you get on the older Microsoft track. Added to that non-IT hiring managers/agencies may miss that if they are searching for keywords in the certification part (some of them, especially agencies will just type parts of your CV into their database, and if it's not there or if they don't understand it - it will be missed out).

You've got too many different skills sections in your CV: Key skills, IT & Network skills and then you've got more skills listed under Education & Training (under the IT Helpdesk training). Tidy it up by merging them, currently it look disorganised.

I would recommend you putting your academic qualifications in your CV.

That's my two cents anyway...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

Hi thanks for all the advice and feed back you are giving me on my CV. I've cut all the skills I had and put under one heading and tried to put all the skills I had there into 4 bullet points.

thanks in advance.

Attached Files: