If I gain an Open University degree plus an MCSA then what would be my job prospects?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jo74, Jan 25, 2011.

1. gionny

gionny Bit Poster

If I had to compare my friend knowledge and skills to a person who works since 8 years in IT , I surely would prefer my friend , sometimes it seems he knows everything.
    I agree about the fact that using GNS3 and IOS Cisco image is illegal , in fact in the past I used packet tracer and some online Cisco Racks for free.

But my friend cracks everything could be cracked. I remember sometimes ago , He bought an Acer pc with a regular Windows Vista license...The first thing he did was to install MAC OS X and Windows Seven on the PC , all cracked :)

IT's strange that using GNS3 with Cisco IOS is illegal for learning purposes..I can understand this restriction if I saw a NoN-Cisco router or switch in Naples running Cisco IOS using linux plus GNS3 as engine..
    Consider that INE supplyes workbooks with some labs made for Dynamips

FROM INE :
    Ine is considered one of the most specialized CCIE Training Programs , it seems strange that Cisco doesn't matter about that , maybe Cisco is flexible for learning goals..

Certifications: CCNA , CCNP , CCIP
    WIP: CCNA Voice , JNCIA , CCIE R&S
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I haven't worked 8 years in IT... I've worked 13 years in IT.

Your friend may indeed be very intelligent. However, although it may seem like your friend knows everything, I can promise you he does not. Nor do I. But on this topic, I've got experience that your friend does not have, because I've been involved in hiring people for employment. Unless your friend has experience with that, I'd recommend that you listen to those who do, particularly when discussing what employers are looking for.

Doesn't matter what your friend does... it's illegal, and as such, it's against the terms and conditions of this forum to promote its use.

The e-mail I received from Cisco Legal is pretty definitive. Just because Cisco's not throwing around lawsuits doesn't mean it's not illegal.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. bob_s

bob_s New Member

Just my thoughts on this topic.

Good qualifications will help you in the long term, but they mean nothing without real experience. As others have mentioned its about continuous development, I think most people start at the bottom, the qualifications help the progress up the ladder quicker.

There are always exceptions, and I dont know what the graduate recruitment is like at the moment.

Good luck with your choices

Certifications: BSc(Hons), ITILv3-F, Prince2-F,
    WIP: CISMP, MSc, MCP, MCSE
  4. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Jo, I've just completed a 2008 R2 Admin class based training course that my employer sent me to. Most of the guys on that course were degree grads with certs and also in employment. Apart from me and another guy, all of them were in their early 20s and they were all IT Techs from different local schools!

All of them had either an MCP or a CompTIA cert as well as an IT related degree.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  5. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

the high end certs are for cats who has being in the game for so long not for starters

6. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I started another thread last November asking what could be the alternative to the MCDST, which is soon to retire but which I can't afford before its retirement.

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread41964.html

And one of the MCSA exams, 70-270, was mentioned as a possible alternative.

Now given that I've previously bought the books for that exam a while ago, would it be worth attempting this exam partly as a kind of replacement for the MCDST and maybe also for an MCP?

I don't fancy shelling out for new books for a Vista/Windows 7 exam.

But in the context of this thread, there would then be a large gap if I was to gain a pass in 70-270 during this year and when I'm in a position to attempt the rest of the MCSA (which realistically is obviously years away).

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  7. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Job prospects = £15-20k
    Certs will help but you will need the experience to backup your knowledge that will take at least 2 years IMO :blink

8. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Can you clarify the first point?

Do you meant job prospects with a degree but no high level certs although some helpdesk experience?

Or with a degree but no experience?

And as for your second point, do you mean 2 years experience before considering the MCSA?

9. zet

zet Byte Poster

One other thing to consider. When employers review CV's some would take a candidate with a 2.2 who has come from a top 10 university over someone with a 2.1 who has come from top 90-100. Now I don't know how a degree from an open university is viewed - this is something you should look into. Perhaps if it's not viewed strongly then complete your degree at the open-university and then do a masters at a known university.

However, keep looking for a job as once you've got your first job it gets easier - so I've heard!

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  10. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Well, I've always had the impression that the Open University is highly rated, from various surveys.

11. drum_dude

You've been given loads of opinions but not ONCE have you written "thanks" to anyone? All you've done is disagree and question people? That is really not a good start as such a flaw will show up in the interview process!

As for your job prospects: Dole, flippin burgers in McDs, helpdesk...it's really down to you and your attitude - that doesn't look too good at the moment!

Here's an idea: complete your studies and then start applying for jobs! You'll get your answer no probs using that method!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
    Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  12. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Your first few lines are a very unfair criticism.:x

I had a single reasonable disagrement with another poster in this thread and I replied with a reasonable counter argument. And what's wrong with asking questions?

This is the first time I've ever seen a thread on Certforums where someone's been criticised for not saying thanks.8)

Is that a 'rule' of Certforums or an established practice?

Effectively comparing an internet forum to a job interview! Posting to an internet forum and performing in a job interview aren't particularly comparable.

This is a forum, where things are discussed, questioned and debated openly. It is the web after all.

Am I not allowed to ask questions? Isn't that part of the idea of Certforums?

How on earth can you work out my attitude from a handful of internet posts.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  13. zet

zet Byte Poster

jo74, you're right! I've just done a little reseach and OU is respected highly among employers - my bad. In that case get your OU degree and keep looking for work, something will show up!

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  14. drum_dude

Not at all...just a simple "thanks" is missing from all your responses! A first in all my time at Cert Forums (2004).

15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

No, it's just good manners.

If you ask a question, you may or may not like the answers you get. As you point out, that's one of the things about asking people's opinions on an open public forum.

If they are helpful, you could say 'thanks' or leave them some rep just because it's polite and it encourages people to read your posts and try to help you. If you don't, or you just end up arguing, people will stop answering your questions, and eventually start ignoring you.

It's not a forum thing, it's just what makes the world go round. :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  16. nephilim

nephilim Bit Poster

I have only just finished CCNA Semester 4, and its not for the faint hearted. I have had to get help from here as I struggled alot with the practicals. God knows how I will pass the final bit! lol. I am no good with maths and fluked the subnetting! haha

As for your original question, do not over qualify at the start.

My career started at 21, 3 years after finishing college with a BTEC National Diploma in Networking. I got the basics, but experience counts for ALOT.

Whilst I may not use cisco equipment every day, I do have to use it when I am fixing our network in my place (Legacy equipment from before my time).

I am a network manager now (at 25) but it took me 4 years to get here, but here is how my career went.

Worked as a volunteer for 5 hours a week in a school (as a volunteer tech) - 3 months
    Then got paid for 10 hours a week in a school (as a junior tech) - 12 months
    Then got paid for 30 hours a week in a school (as a normal tech) - 19 months
    Then got paid for 30 hours a week in a school (as a senior tech) - 36 months
    Now get paid for 37.5 hours a week in a school (as a network admin) - promoted last month

Its tough to get the promotions but working at it gets you there, but most places will not look at you if you are over qualified without the experience. Experience counts for a hell of a lot!

Certifications: Comptia A+, MCSE,
    WIP: CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, MCDBA
  17. bokawel

bokawel Bit Poster

Hello,

It has been a while since I posted to this forum. But I would like to add my bit to this discussion.

I was a graduate with BEng Computer Science at a university in London in 2001. I thought that finishing my degree would set me off to a high paying IT career. Wrong! After a year of searching for jobs without success, I certified myself with Java. I though I will get Java jobs after I get the certification. Wrong! Hundreds of job applications and I was able to get interviews but no job offers. Then at around 2003, I took a MSc Advance Software Engineering course. I did not complete it abut got a Post Graduate Diploma for the same course. I thought it will improve my job prospects. Wrong! Still no job offers despite being invited to interviews. At this time, I have no IT job experience and no proof of any IT related work in the field.

In the end I gave up and went for another job unrelated to IT. At around 2008, I was forced to move out of London due to family reasons. I moved north and decided to move back to IT. The first thing I wanted to do is get experience, so I volunteered to a local computer recycling company and stayed there for 3 months. At the same time I got a A+ IT Technician cert. The manager says he will give me job reference once I applied for a another job. Next, I worked in a local broadband company for 3 months as a contractor. At the same time I started studying for MCDST and passed it. Then worked for 1 month as a contractor as an IT Helpdesk technician. Next I got employed as a contractor to an NHS organisation and never looked back. Worked 2 years as a 1st line tech support and two promotions later, I am now one of three IT Engineers there responsible for networks, some server but mostly desktop. I am studying for CCNA now as I am required to pass it, and will look at MSCA/E later on as again I am required to pass it.

I hope my experience helps you in your decision to get into IT in the future.

Certifications: BEng Computing, Java Cert, A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support
  18. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Surprised you couldn't land a Java job in London 2003-2008.

Evidence if needed that degrees or certification alone isn't enough.

Glad to hear it worked out in the end !

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  19. bays

bays Banned

HTTP:t.cn/RsD19oa

这里的研究内容很多,而且信息非常完整。

20. bays

bays Banned

这里有很多关于CISA的信息,你可以去看看,我也在看里面的信息,希望能帮到你。HTTP:t.cn/RsD19oa

Attached Files: