Ideal Path for MCSA/MCSE

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by ukspeedster, Nov 17, 2006.

1. ukspeedster

ukspeedster Nibble Poster

Hey everyone,

Ive just started in IT and what to get some certs done. My company will be funding the training and exams. What would be an ideal path to get the MCSA/MCSE 2003?

I was thinking of doing the 70-270 (Windows XP Pro) exam first, then the core exams 70-290, 70-291 and then an elective.

Can you all advise me of the best path, or the paths you have taken to achieve the MCSA/MCSE 2003 or the paths you are thinking of taking?

Thanks

Certifications: BSc(Hons), ITIL, MCP
    WIP: MCSA 2003, CCNA
  2. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Do you already have any IT Certs??
    The general reply you will find will be to start with the Comptia A+ and N+, giving you a solid base on which to build your knowledge befor moving on to MCP exams.

If you feel that you already have a solid Base then the client exam 70-270 would be the ideal place to start on the Microsoft certification route.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  3. ukspeedster

I dont have any certs at the moment.
    A+ and N+ look like most peoples starting off point. I will have a look into these, and then possibly do the 70-270 Windows XP exam, followed by the 2 core exams 70-290 and 70-291.

Thanks 8)

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Like Tyler has said- it all depends on what you already know. You got a B.Sc - is it in something Computing? Do you have an Networking experience? Too many questions! :biggrin

If you really know that the MCSA is the cert you want then i got two ways you might want to start off. You could either do the MCDST - which is a Windows XP cert with Office and Desktop support - this will also count as an elective towards MCSA - then 270,290,291.

Your second option is doing 270, 290, 291 then an elective.

MCDST will give you a good grounding into MS exams and will prepare you for 270 - which is alot harder than the two MCDST exams.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. ukspeedster

My BSc is in Computer Science, and I haven't really got any networking experience as of yet, but I guess I will while doing my new job.

Essentially I want to work towards the MCSE 2003, but I need the experience first, so I can understand and apply the knowledge for the exams.

The MCSA would be a good cert to have towards the MCSE. I will look into the 2 routes you suggested.

What would be the most common route for someone in a similar situation to me? Or, what do most people do in my situation....which of the 2 routes?

Thanks

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

To me it sounds like A+ would be a little waste of time. I say go onto Network+ then hit the MS certs.

7. ukspeedster

I think you need A+ and Network+ to count as an elective, so it would be pointless doing just the Network+ by itself!

8. ukspeedster

How about doing it in this order...

70-270
    70-290
    70-291
    70-293
    70-294
    70-297/70-298
    Elective exam

any other suggestions?

Thanks

9. ukspeedster

I have another question for you guys...
    Essentially I want to get MCSE 2003 certified in the future. Would it be good to be MCSA 2003 certified first? Or would it be advisable to go straight for the MCSE 2003 while working?

Another thought: If I had both certifications would I be potentially be able to earn more money than if I just had the MCSE?

Thanks

10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

ukspeedster,

What background in computing/networking do you have?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  11. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Unlikely as an MCSE supersedes MCSA. It's the same as having both an A-Level in Maths and a GCSE. Having both wouldn't get you more money than someone who only has an A-Level.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  12. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

I think you've got the right idea. I've just started on the Microsoft cert track. I've been in IT for many years and started off with the 70-270.

I would start with the 70-271 and 70-272 for the MCDST cert. This can also count towards an MCSA but not an MCSE. It'll get you used to MS exams and give you an MCP and a good base to attack 70-270.

I'm thinking about going back to do the MCDST not decided yet.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You should gain MCSA while progressing toward the MCSE.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. ukspeedster

As I said before, im just starting out in IT. I have an A Level in computing and degree in Computer Science.

15. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

You and ukspeedster should both start off with mcdst as your first ms exams... i done all three exams and they are much "more gentle" than the other ms exams i took.

16. ukspeedster

If I do the MCDST it wouldn't count towards the MCSE would it?
    I think it only counts as an elective towards the MCSA.

A friend of mine has done all 7 exams, and he advised me to look at the server exams first (70-290, 70-291) and then the client exam (70-270 - difficult as there is so much to learn).

17. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Altough I'm currently working on my first MCP (70-270) I would suggest that it would make life more difficult doing the server exams first without a thorough knowledge of the client. Servers serve clients, how can you understand the server if you don't understand the thing they serve?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Wot he said ^^

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The logical path it 70-270, 70-290 and then 70-291.

The material required for the 70-270 is fairly straight forward IMO, if you use XP at home then you will be familiar with some aspects of the OS. Once you have leanrt the more advanced topics (RIS server, group policy, answer files etc.) then you will be ready to go. :biggrin

Just wait until the 70-291, that’s difficult! :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Agreed totally!

Ok it makes sense but i found 290 believe it or not builds on stuff from 270.

LMO 8)