IDE query in Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flex22, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Flex,

This was a question you were asked, with limited additional information given.

You were merely asked to deduce what could have feasibly caused a problem under given conditions (ie hardware is up to spec for an install)

This was not a question on hardware, but on file systems, namely FAT (16 and 32) v NTFS.

It was therefore a process of deduction, and as such, one of the reasons why the Transexual Transcender from Transylvania is much smarter than the average "user" :wink:

That is the purpose of the questions he asks - to go and ask "Why did I get this wrong :?: " Now ask yourself, how much more do you know than you did before he asked you ?

You have a good study "companion" there, my friend - use it wisely :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

You know, just talking about this with you guys brings out a lot of thoughts on the subject.It makes me more confident discussing things, because I realise that I do know something :D even if I do have to query things, but that's the whole point of this site, right.

I'm going to post more querys when they arise.Getting talking like this seems to work for me.

Thanks!

3. kelton

kelton Nibble Poster

The friend of course could have been much nicer by supplying the information that you really required to give him an answer :!:

Now saying that your friend had a 1 gig HD and it was pre-formatted to FAT-16. Surely he would have selected to install another file system?

However, he may not be an expert and have no idea... but would the install have failed mearly due to the presence of Fat-16 on the drive? As someone said above - the setup could interpret the free space wrongly because of Fat-16?

Tell your friend to provide more information next time :!: :lol:

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Without going hunting around (which I should, really) for the exact figures on cluster sizes (cue Trip, the Link Man), I still say yes it would cause this to happen.

FAT16 is much less economic for the simple reason that each cluster is so much larger than those of FAT32 or NTFS. As a result you get fewer clusters on 1GB of disk space, the OS set-up "sees" that it can't create the size of partition required, and VIOLA - failed set-up.

Bear in mind also, that the set-up requires additional disk space for temp files during installation, and these are over and above the (I think) 650 MB for the actual OS as stated in Sytem Requirements.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity