ICT Technician Job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Heidihi, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Heidihi

Heidihi Bit Poster

Hi guys and gal's, haven't been on here a while so happy new year and all that!
    I'm going for a job as an ICT Technician at a local Secondary School, done a bit of general revision, learnt about the school, and general interview techniques etc, I was just wondering if anyone has some pearls of wisdom they would like to share, tips, advice whatever-anything is greatly appriciated
    Thanks!

Certifications: CIW Professional
    WIP: CIW Master: Web Site manager
  2. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi,
    I am an ICT technician in a secondary school. All i can say is work on your interview skills. Lots of schools run a RM network (RM.com), it is basically 2k3 server with a more user friendly front end. They probably aren't looking for someone who knows everything, so just brush up on the basics. DO you know anything about the IT system the school uses?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm the IT Manager at a Secondary school - we use a vanilla network with half of our suites running ranger (which we're phasing out), we also support 2 primary schools. You may also want to look at Edugeek, which is a forum based in the Education sector (so you'll see the kind of problems in schools) :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

I'm a senior Tech in a secondary school, and the only advice I can give is to not panic about it, but don't come across too cocky. Nothing irritates a hiring manager more. Ask loads of questions, both Technical and non-technical.

At the school I work in, we use a middleware solution that supposedly helps with some of the administrative tasks, but it just sits on top of a normal server 2003 environment. I wouldn't expect the school to require you to have knowledge or experience with any specific solution that they use, just as an Industry job wouldn't expect you to know all about the in-house developed system that they use.

Also, if they ask you anything about prioritising jobs, the general rule of thumb (at least as far as I have experienced) is if the issue affects the whole school, top priority, followed by an issue affecting a whole class, then other issues. In other words, anything that affects Teaching and Learning, in order of impact.

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  5. Heidihi

Heidihi Bit Poster

Hi and thanks to all of you for taking the time out to reply!
    Just been told there is a bit of a delay as a private company is taking over but thaks for all your advice, I'll try and swat up on all you've mentioned! The minimum they've asked for is a level 3 qualification which is a-level so i think it might be good to have a solid grip on the basics rather than trying to sound too cocky like you've said-sound advice-thanks very much, I'll let you know how things go!
    :D

Certifications: CIW Professional
    WIP: CIW Master: Web Site manager
  6. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Hey be prepared for questions such as:

1) Prioritisation of jobs. e.g. If a child comes to you for help or a teacher can't access www.odeon.co.uk who do you choose. - You are there to help students education
    2) What would you do if a child was aggressive/naughty/fancied u etc
    3) All the normal ones: Where do you want to be in 5 years, what do you know about the school.
    4) Also you may get a technical test such as: A computer with cables unplugged inside or something simmilar
    5) Maybe read over basic tech stuff and refresh yourself: Active Directory/OSI Models/Basic terminology such as TCP/DNS etc

School I am in has roughly 500 desktops then about 250 or so laptops. Then everything else - servers/printers etc. 1150 pupils. We run Exchange/2003/XP. Use a mix of clonezilla/ghost/ stuff.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.