ICS!!!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by noelg24, Aug 18, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I finished building Lou's mates PC last nite but now I wish I hadnt of done that cos not only will she have the PC in 3 weeks when we go back to Grimsby...she also needs ADSL to be ready so I can help her get it up and running. now here's the scope...I decided to do a peer2peer networking from my PC to her PC but I couldnt!!!:blink I did the Network Setup wizard about 5 times each on both PCs but they wouldnt find each other at all!! now I dont know what it is exactly but I know that when I was living in newcastle I networked me and my flatmates PCs to a broadband router so we can share the internet but this time its just a simple p2p. now is it because of the old network connection that this new one wont work or is there something else I am missing? I need to get the PC hooked to the Net so I can activate Win Xp for her and do all the necessary updates and all the other bish bosh we PC techies do. my only other option is to uninstall XP and wait till we get back to Grimsby but I have a feeling she wont have the internet ready by then and thats why I think I may as well just install my ADSL modem onto her PC and do what I need to do then uninstall the modem and wait till we get back in 3 weeks. any ideas people?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

how are you connecting the two computers together?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

a normal UTP Cat5e cable from one PC to another...no hubs or anything like that...

4. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Might sound stupid, but make sure its a cross-over cable. A straight through cable won't work. Could that be the prob?

HTH

ANdy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

it cant be the cable cos I have used that cable before when I networked me and my flatmates PCs back in Newcastle...but then again :rolleyes: I dont think it could be the cable. its worked before.

6. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

How were you networked with you flatmates before? were you all connected to a hub or switch, with a link to the router? If that's the case, that's why it worked. You only need straight through cables to connect a machine to a hub or switch.

Other than that, try another cable, the one ur using might be have gone bad.

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

to directly connect a PC - PC you need an XO (Crossover) Cable

this cable has altered ends
    in that

Pin 1 becomes Pin 3
    Pin 2 becomes Pin 6
    Pin 3 becomes Pin 1
    Pin 6 becomes Pin 2

this cable is required when not using a hub/switch/router/other networking device

also for connecting said devices together, (unless an 'upload' port is present)

general rule of thumb
    Computer - Computer = Crossover
    Net Device - Net Device = Crossover
    Computer - Net Device = Straight Through

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok guys I think I have found the error of my ways...yes Punky I was using a broadband router...read my first post as I mention it there...and I was using a straight thru cable...so looks like I have to purchase a XO cable now...and do u believe I have 6 straight cables? never mind...I am sure I will get it sorted soon...I have 3 weeks so I can take me time I think...thanks guys...

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

mate

did your broadband router have built in hub/switch? it likely did have, and hence why you were able to use straight thru cables

perhaps look for the cable coupler boxes that do cross over in them

check http://www.homestead.co.uk/rj45cp.htm

the bottom one is the cross over, the one above sounds like a rollover

10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you made you posts a little more clearer then we may be able to help.

If your using a router with ehternet ports then you dont need a Xover cable a normal will work fine.

Give us a clear breakdown of what exactly you are doind and what methods and we may be able to help you more. I might be a simple thing you mistakingly overlooked or it may be a biggy so we need all the info you can give. :biggrin

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

err Si
    when it USED to work in newcastle he was using a broadband router (i assume with ports if it worked as he mentioned they were connected through it)

12. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

My bad :oops:

What with all the extras about the missus and Newcastle I must have missed the plot.

Hey noel, have you ever thought about writing test questions, you have a natural ability. :biggrin

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

LOL SI
    nah man test questions are hard enough as it is heheh

14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

u lot are shocking hahaha...

15. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I agree, they make excellent test questions, pulling out the relevant info.

Did you get this sorted?

16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

no its ok flex I just installed my USB modem into the other PC and downloaded the relevant software...but thanks mate...