ICS London Ltd

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Ian belcher, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Ian belcher

Ian belcher New Member

Hi all, Has anyone ever been involved with ICS London who offer IT training courses, charge £6000 Fees plus exam costs, and apparently offer employment with them with a starting salary of 20K, (supposedly) My 18 year old daughter thinks its the dogs sphericals but as a caring parent have grave concerns.
    please give me any advice on this
    Thanks
    Ian

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings Ian. Welcome to CertForums. Sorry, never heard of them. Of course, being in the US there's no reason why I should. Sorry I can't help but I wanted to stop by and say "hello". Hope you like it here.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forum :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

welcome

waste of money, hogswash claims
    thanks for listening
    :P

lots more info in the places people have mentioned

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Ian - I see you met some of the Guys already :biggrin

Welcome aboard. If you use our search function above, and enter the criteria you're after, you'll bring up all the relevant result we have here.

*Note: ICS also stand for Internet Connection Sharing, so you'll probs pull a few posts about that as well.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Clouder

Clouder New Member

Ian, my suggestion is that your daughter needs to be sure that this is what she wants to do. It will be a lot of work. I know people who have done the program, and have gone on to successful IT careers. If this is what she wants to do then I can say that it is a GREAT company to do it with.

8. Margaret Quine

Margaret Quine New Member

Ref your enquiry about ICS, our son has been thinking about the same course. Did you find out anything else?

9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

For you parents that are wanting to know about training programs....

Go to the company and ask to the see the CV of every instructor they have. I would also talk to the instructors to see what they're like. Interview them thoroughly. Look for several years of real world experience in work very closely associated with what they will be teaching. I had an instructor that supposedly had several years of IT experoence. It turned out she sat in on committees that dealt with IT and she knew nothing about computing.

That won't guarantee you no bad instructors, but at least your kids will have someone teaching them who has some real world experience. Ask to talk to at least a dozen former students. Of course they will point you to the ones who are most likely to tell you the best things about them, but hopefully you will get an honest person in there who will tell you both the strengths and weaknesses of the program. If all you hear are gushing endorsements be wary.

If the companies won't work with you on these things, run as fast as you can.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  10. Chris Winter

Chris Winter New Member

Hello All,

ICS London have probably told your kids that they will get an MCSD, MCDBA and MCSA in 3 months. This will then be followed by 3 months work experience with ICS, after which time they will find employment with one of ICS' clients.

ICS provide a fair standard of basic training, but this is not enough on its own to get anyone through the exams. Once the training is complete, students are expected to study independently for the exams, and need to pass them all before the work experience and help with finding a job kicks in.

Microsoft qualifications are very demanding, requiring: good study skills, a lot of stamina and tenacity, and a fair amount of intellect. The volume of information that needs to be absorbed and thoroughly digested for each qualification is huge. For example, the MCSA alone involves taking four exams and to prepare for each exam one needs to study a 500 odd page textbook in depth and perform numerous hands-on technical excercises to develop the requisite skills. Some of the concepts that need to be understood are quite abstract - I can only talk subjectively, but as someone who has a degree, I would say that the level of study is degree standard.

A great deal of personal commitment is required to get through these exams. In my case, each exam is taking 2-3 months study and I have worked in IT for the best part of 20 years.

For further info about the challenges of Microsoft certification see the reply by FFreeloader to Ingenue in the New Members Introduction section.

I would suggest taking all these factors into account before signing up for any course.

WIP: MCSD