ICS Distance Learning

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by spuddy1, Aug 15, 2003.

1. spuddy1

spuddy1 Bit Poster

Just wondering if anyone has taken the microsoft package with them. and if so was it any good?

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hey Spuddy1, Welcome to CertForums. You'll find the majority of users here are with A learning provider in Newark Notts UK called NITLC and some users with CompuTeach. Have you signed up with ICS? (assuming ICS is a provider) do you have a URL of there site?

SimonV

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum spuddy

I looked into the ICS course but decided on the Nitlc course as i got more for my money.

what do ICS provide, qualifications wise and if you dont mind me asking what do they charge?

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  4. spuddy1

spuddy1 Bit Poster

cheers for replying, it costs a grand to take and you learn from a CD, with my job it has to be distance learning so it would be great if it was ok just dont want to throw money away.

5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

What do you get for your Grand? I know what you mean about the price of training. I, myself can learn from the CD's, although the learnkey stuff is good but expensive. I like to have books that I can just about take anywhere and study and I can also pick them up again if I need to look back on something. Is it a bundle of CD's that you get that takes you towards MCSE?

SimonV

6. spuddy1

spuddy1 Bit Poster

yes it says bundle off CD's and extra study materials(dont know what) its a skill builder software and you actually simulate practicals off the CD. just looked at that nitlc what do you reckon it would cost for mcse and is it a simular thing. cheers for your help

7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

The NITLC course would and depending on the route you were to take cost anything from £2000 to £3000. There materials are all books and you need to support your studies with a test lab (at least 2 PC's) so you can carry out the practical elements of the course. If I was to give you any advice the best would be make sure you get the hands on. If you work in IT and alredy do this stuff day to day then this does'nt apply all that much but if you new to networking, installing and configuring MS windows then you really need to do the hands on. The experience of doing the stuff instead of simulation is IMO irreplaceable.

I'm sure if you pop back over the weekend some of the others here will give you thier view on things but I'm sure they'll echo my opinion on this.

SimonV :D

8. spuddy1

spuddy1 Bit Poster

by using nitcl you said you just get books for materials, would i not be better just getting books like microsoft mcse books and exam cram etc and save on some money.?

9. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

In addition to the books that you get to keep, there are CD based training classes available from the NITLC, there are workshops at key stages of your progression that really help. The tutors and general support staff are first class also. I wouldn't claim that the NITLC are the cheapest but they are value for money and you do get what you pay for these days.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

I'd say that boils down to you and what type of a student you are. Do you need the support? Do you have the knowledge already and just want to get the certs? Can you afford the price tag or can you get help from your employer?

You could very easily get the same books used by any training company and organise your own exams paying for them as you go and I nearly did, but my employer ended up footing the bill for my training so I chose a reputable provider. I guess it depends on your needs and circumstances

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi spuddy1, and firstly, welcome to CertForums :P

I personally am not the type that can learn solely from e-books on CD (if thats what you meant). I like the paper stuff in front of me, which I then supplement with various other resources, eg Cramsessions, various CDs from elsewhere, etc.

Also, you mentioned Skilbuilder CDs - are these the ones from NetG ? If so, I would just say that they are as dry as an old bone, and in my opinion were more of a deterrent than anything.

Depending on what course your interested in, Nitlc can actually be closer to the £4k mark - eg for the Technical & Systems Engineer course that many of us here are on, your looking at £3,500 ish, plus any other stuff you need to buy. Saying that, you get a pretty comprehensive set of quals, ie

CompTIA A+ and Network+
    Microsoft MCSA and MCSE
    Cisco CCNA
    (including exam costs, but NOT resits.)

Also, Nitlc's support facilities, tutoring, and extra resources, etc are first class - don't think anyone will disagree with that.

Hope some of this helps, but as in many things, I think it's a case of you get what you pay for !

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Sounds better than computeach.

I get the Netg stuff.Coincidentally I'd left all the Netg stuff on my old computer, and as my laptop is currently out of action, I thought I'd just give Netg another try.

I know what you mean though Jakamoko, I don't particuarly care for the Netg stuff.I get 90-100% on all the tests at the end yet when I come to do the transcender tests, these are a lot harder, and more accurate.
    The Netg stuff is misleading if you ask me.

Seems like you guys get more for your money, as in getting CCNA, Network +, and A+, on top of the MCSE, all for £3500.

At computeach I paid £3500 and I got:

- Stage 1, simply called stage 1 funnily enough, which was all about how computing works.

- Stage 2, Networking essentials resulting in a Computeach diploma (I wouldn't think that's worth much compared to Network +).

- Stage 3, 70-210 and 70-215.

- Stage 4, 70-216 and 70-217.

- Stage 5, electives, opportunity to progress to MCDBA after MCSE.

I think that's pretty much the same as Nitlc, correct me otherwise, I'd be interested to know.

I've never spoken to a Tutor really because I can't afford to ring them up.My emails take forever to be replied to so really I use sites like this for help.

Computeach do have their own site but it's very quiet at present and not very good.

How long do you get on Nitlc to complete the whole course?

I get 3 years from the start but I have to pay back my CDL come February so I'll definately need a job by then.

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Crikey, this Thread is starting to sound like an out-and-out promo for Nitlc :!: Is there any way we can get commission :?: :P

With them, you get a standard 2 years for the course, but they are extremely flexible regarding extensions. For example, I'm on my second (they're issued 3 months at a time), and the general view is that as long as you can prove you're still doing the work, ie passing the exams, they will continue.

BUT, that can't be expected to last forever, and my view is that after a year of extensions, you're given all that you've paid for, and wished good luck. However, that is ONLY my view, and not as stated by Nitlc.

As for the CDL (career development loan) that is a flat 2-year pay-back time, ie you get 2 years, then must pay it back. It is Provider-independent (Government run, in other words)

14. spuddy1

spuddy1 Bit Poster

Just found out that it would be using the netg CD's it does say other study material as well which i dont know what that would be, that would cost a 1000 pounds, ive contacted nitlc and there sending me a info pack but it may out price me as it was only a couple of years ago i lost money when AMRAF went bust, dont want to make the same mistake again.

15. madrob

madrob Nibble Poster

Hey

I have just started with NITLC and just recieved my CDL! Woo Hoo :P

I would recommend them anytime, they sorted everything. They check all your CDL forms and then send them direct, they send a course advisor out to see you to discuss which course will be best and from the moment i showed an interest to the day i write this they have been first class.

Also as the others said, you do get alot more for your money.

They have been round for a fair few years now so HOPEFULLY :eek: they wont disappear with the money!

I know im only backing up what the others said but hey ho!

WIP: CIW Master Designer
  16. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Hey Spuddy, dont just take it that were trying to get you to go with NITLC and that they are the only option open to you. They are a good training provider with good support but it is possible to achieve the same results without paying for all the extras. Once Phil's back (not sure where he's gone) I'm sure he'll put another perspective.

Si

Keep up posted on your decision, you can always use Certforums for your suppport.

17. spuddy1

spuddy1 Bit Poster

Well i think im going to give ICS a try, been into it and for a grand you get books cd,s and tutor support, it also means its really flexible because i am in the RAF i wouldnt be able to attend workshops with nitlc and it is a little cheaper, im gonna buy another PC as well so i can create a lab so all in all i should be ok, just a couple of things how much is a exam are they roughly 80 pounds? also does anyone no were to get a copy of advanced server? im sure someone of this site said you can get a trail 128 days usage. ive no real IT experience but i have just been posted to the IT department for 4 years so i want to get as much certs and valuble experience as possible. In a couple of years the RAF will spend up to 6000 a year on education for anyone who's in it but at the moment its £175 a year which aint great. thanks for your help im sure i will be back on asking for help very soon.

18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hi again, Spuddy

I suppose if you really wanted to strip costs to bear bones, you could spend your $$$ on buying the MSPress books (or whatever you choose) on Amazon - I believe they do a sort of Core pack, and Elective pack for MCSE.

Then, if you felt we were up to it, then you could use this site as your main source of support. Thas what I'll be donig soon, when and if my support from Nitlc stops.

Just another thought for your basket :P By the way, do you get to play with the Tornadoes for real, then ??? I sat the Fast Jet tests, but failed due to my eyesight :eek: