ICND 2 - Re-tale tommorow

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by morph, Apr 2, 2008.

1. morph

morph Byte Poster

So retaking part 2 tommorow - feeling less confidant than last time - really really feel that going down the fast track route with a training company is totally wthe wrong idea...(read my previous posts - i had to go on it) - u just cant take it all in i dont think in that short space of time....and i'm so sick of intensive cramming that if i worked in a post office i think i'd shoot everyone around me at the moment....

anyway - i i got given 2 2503 routers this evening for nowt, so now on the look out for a switch of some kind to make a little lab - anyone got any suggestions on a switch i could go for?

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You're right - it's not possible. That's why we give the advice we do. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. morph

morph Byte Poster

yeah yeah :P anyway i'm gonna get some kit togethor and do it properly anyway (which is what i planned to do anyway before the company stepped in!) - come on Mr boson - give us a suggestion on a switch :D

4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Switches for the CCNA certification?
    2950's should work. You can probably go with 3550's and overkill would be 3750's.

Good luck on the exam.

5. BosonMichael

I recommend that you buy NetSim. :twisted: Just kidding. :biggrin

In all seriousness, I can't keep track of the switch models as new models are introduced and old ones are retired. Just when I think a 2950 is good enough (and it might very well be), I hear that nothing less than a 3560 will do. :scratch :unsure

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

From what I remember the 2950's will be sufficient for the CCNA. However, you'll need to step up the gear for the CCxP modules. If this is just a one-time thing and the objective (for the short-term) is the CCNA, I might suggest a Network Simulator to ease that budget and not worry about changing platforms.

If you are going further and can handle the costs, go with real equipment.

7. morph

morph Byte Poster

well i had a little play on the boson sim - and suppose its pretty good - but then when i've just been trying to type in commands not relating to the lab in question it sometimes doesnt accept it - which got right on my tits - gonna see if i can stea....borrow a switch from work. :D

8. BosonMichael

That's because commands that aren't relevant to the CCNA aren't coded. If you want CCNP-level commands, buy the more-expensive NetSim for CCNP. There's a demo for that, if you're interested.

If ALL of the commands were available in the NetSim for CCNA, fewer people would buy the NetSim for CCNP. Thus, we'd have to charge the same price for the NetSim for CCNA as we do for the NetSim for CCNP.

Remember, guys, it's a simulator, not an emulator (note: Cisco doesn't allow emulation of their router hardware). It's not feasible to include coding for EVERY command.

9. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Yes... but I have been waiting all day now... did you pass?? :rolleyes::p

Interested of Bracebridge Heath

10. morph

morph Byte Poster

unfortunately not - 706 - when i got in there i tried to brain dump my subnet table which gives me binary/hosts/subnet etc.. for quick referance - i've been doing it daily, comepletly forgot it - so it shaffted my exam up (well i did ) - was pretty pissed of yesterday as i almost just got up and walked out of the exam about 20 minutes in - anyway, gonna take more time before the retake :D

11. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Sorry to hear that mate... but I think you're making a wise move giving yourself more time. At least then you will better understand what you need to know. 8)

12. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Too bad on the bad news...
    Best of luck on the studying and retake :study

13. BosonMichael

Don't rely on a table as a crutch... be able to subnet quickly in your head. Use the table ONLY to check yourself. There's not enough time on the CCNA to subnet slowly... you need every minute you can get. Shave minutes off your subnetting, and you can use that time to answer everything else without being horribly rushed.

Best of luck on your next attempt!

14. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

a 2950 switch will be pretty much sufficiant, only thing it doesnt do is RPVST (unless you get the far more expeosnvei EI version), but it supports normal STP and thats only 1 command different

Good luck for next time, I found using the official certification guide for ICND1, and knowing pretty much all of the book got me through. Complete the memory tables after each chapter, and again the day before the exam I'd suggest.

And dont panic when you see a question that looks daunting, think through it logically!

:)

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCA 5.0, MCP 70-290 70-270 70-431
    WIP: CCNP R&S, CCNA Wireless