I think J.K. Rowling's is becoming a tad greedy.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Mitzs, Apr 27, 2008.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'll be there to greet you when you get off your flight: [​IMG]

:biggrin heehee! :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. dingy

dingy Bit Poster

Personally,I just don't like the woman or her childrens books.
    So I hope the greedy cow falls flat on her face and fades into obscurity,taking Heather Mills with her.

Certifications: A+,N+,MCDST
    WIP: Relax
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

This kid isn't stealing Rowling's work. He's publishing a glossary. She's just mad because she got the idea after seeing the popularity of his website, and decided to profit from this herself and cut him out of it. The idea for the glossary is all his. She's just using lawyers to beat him up and take the profit for herself.

It's not like the kid is publishing a novel with HP characters and stories, he's not. Trying to expand IP into this area is more than a little iffy, and only motivated by greed.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. ffreeloader

Here's an interesting article, written by another author no less, on J.K. Rowling's--does J.K stand for "Joke"?--lawsuit over the glossary/encyclopedia that Vander Ark is publishing. He cuts Joke Rowling no slack at all, and says her lawsuit is in incredibly bad form.

Funny how an author who lives by selling his "IP" has such a different slant than the people around this forum.

You can read the rest of Orson Scott Card's opinion at the following link.

http://www.linearpublishing.com/RhinoStory.html

5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Yeah Freddie, I've heard that argument before about her stealing from others. It actually happens everywhere really. I heard another case (cant remember where) where a vampire author (possible Anne Rice) was suing someone over using her ideas. Someone drew a cartoon where shes standing over the accused, and standing over her is another author, and another and another.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Nice post freddy, but the guy is CHOOSING to allow others to do as they will, this is no differnet than me taking a photo and CHOOSING to put a CC license on it and make it free for all

he still has the RIGHT to do something if he wishes
    something JK is getting jumped all over for actually using

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of the case, and so don't pretend to give an authoritative opinion, however JKs actions seem sound, even if her morals are perhaps not

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. ffreeloader

So, if I wrote a book based on documenting the words and terms found in your posts on this forum you would accuse me of stealing your IP? Think about this for a minute.... :blink

That's the main thrust of the article I posted. Sure he also points out the hypocrisy of her suing when the Harry Potter series is so much like other books she's read, but that's not his main argument. His main argument is that a book about another book isn't theft of IP. If that really was a case copyright infringement writing a technical book about a copyrighted work such as the Gimp would be a copyright violation. That's something we would all reject as ridiculous, and that's basically what Joke Rowling is doing.