I think I hate my new job too!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Wires_are_bad, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Wires_are_bad

Wires_are_bad Nibble Poster

Hey guys

Another post in here inspired me to make a topic of my own :biggrin

Since graduating over a year ago I joined this forum which has helped me no end with every aspect of my career. Everything has just gone into place, from studying for my A+ exams, to getting a voluntary IT placement for 6 months (IT support and hardware fixing) to landing my first fully fledged Helpdesk job!

I've been in this helpdesk job for just over 3 months now, but I'm starting to feel completely de-motivated and pretty depressed to be honest! It started out so well and I've been doing a good job, but its just not challenging anymore.

I occasionally get to solve minor technical problems (inhouse PC/network problems) but most of the time I'm supporting clients with absolutely tedious stuff that's not really IT related and not at all challenging.

I've voiced my concerns with my boss but I just don't feel as though I'll ever get to progress in this company with what I really want to do. Up until my interview, the job spec was so vague that even the recruitment company didn't really know what to expect, but as a graduate you can't be overly fussy so I went for it. There was talk about having a more prominant role in the near future but i just can't see it happening.

Is it too soon to be looking for another job and will it look slightly dubious on my cv? I want to be in a role that pushes me technically and I want to keep learning. I'm planning on taking some microsoft certs as I'd like to move into 2nd line support, and delve into servers/active directory/networks, etc.

Has anyone else been in a similar position?

Certifications: Bsc Business I.T (2:1)
    WIP: A+ and N+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just a thought but you could aim to pass the A+, Network+ and MCP 70-270 over the next 9 months. Therefore your C.V will have your degree, certs and commercial experience on it which would set you up for a better job.

I moved on from my first full time IT job (helpdesk) after 9 months and it didn’t really cause any problems when I was applying for other jobs (I think!) :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Wires,

Hold fire!

Do you remember how you felt before in your current role? If I remember, you were like all of us who just wanted the *chance*.

Don't chuck it away, mate. If you current posistion lacks progression (check!), gain time, experience and then start looking elsewhere for a position.

I remember in my previous career - I couldn't wait to advance and take more responsibilty, but you need the experience and will gain trust and respect as you go along.

Don't forget - everyone starts somewhere :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Wires_are_bad

Wires_are_bad Nibble Poster

Actually I've just been reading a few old threads and the same thing has been suggested, which is to stick it out whilst getting some certs in the meantime, and I think I'll do just that :)

Do you mind if I ask where you went after your initial helpdesk role?

edit: Boyce your so right! I suppose I just needed to hear it from others that have been through the same thing. Cheers mate :)

Certifications: Bsc Business I.T (2:1)
    WIP: A+ and N+
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

"You know it makes sense, Rodney"! (Sorry couldn't help it!)

I started off my own back. I always had an interest, but never did *it* as a job. My old job allowed me to havbe days off in the week, which meant I was lucky to work somewhere one day a week for free. Sounds mad, but some others paid thousands for training which didn't include *real* experience. OK, i was sitting next to someone making them coffee and unpaid. This person was fifty plus, has been working with computers since 1980 (Xerox days). He made it clear from the start, there was no job - he said that he has asked for someone previosly, but they said no!

In all honesty, I was hoping for a job even though this was said - but it never happened. I still keep in touch and he is a good contact to have!

Stick with it. As Del Boy says "Who dares, wins". :D

Good luck.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ended up being the in-house IT support guy for a small software developemnt company. They were moving to a new office and also migrating from NT to 2003 so it was a big jump! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

What you describe above is typically a 3rd line role, not 2nd Line - that is normally desktop support roles i.e. taking on problems that the helpdesk cannot solve etc. £rd Line is more server/infrastructure support. Just thought I'd point that out for you as you could be dissapointed if you did get a 2nd line role!

As for your current job, stick with it for another 3 months. When you come to write your CV just "dress-up" your current role! I don't mean tell fibs but be creative about what you do!!

Good luck!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. surfer_rosa

surfer_rosa Nibble Poster

Could you give me a little more info as to what all this 1st, 2nd and 3rd line support stuff all means. Cheers!

Certifications: None.... yet
    WIP: CCNA
  9. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Typically they are:

1st Line: Call logging, helpdesk etc anything that is the first port of call for the user is normally 1st line.

2nd Line: Desktop Support, issues/requests that cannot be resolved by 1st line are passed here - the call will be dealt with via the phone or deskside visit. 2nd line are not normally under the same time restrictions as 1st line.

3rd Line: Application support, Server/Network support, infrastructure support...this group of people will deal with major issues relating to programs, email/file/print/web servers, network wiring, IP Telephony blah blah. Calls can be passed to this group from 1st and 2nd line...

A call doesn't have to go through all "lines" 1st line can pass a call directly to 3rd line etc...when to do this is determined by the call type or what there helpdesk software instructs them to do!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...