I spent alot of time this weekend learning the linux command line..

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I have three more udemy courses to go through but Im wondering what I should do after? Im just tryinh to make myself more employable tbh, if anyone has any sugestions on what I can do next I’d appreciate it. I was thinking of learning some python/java next but just not sure..

dmarsh likes this.
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You could learn bash scripting and then move into python.
    You could look at things like docker, vagrant and ansible.
    You could look at AWS, Hadoop, Nginx, Git and Jenkins.

Depends what interests you really. If you are doing it for a career then really you should look at job boards and pick roles that interest you,
    DevOps, Systems Administrator, Network Admin, Software Developer, DBA, Data Scientist, Front End Developer, etc.
    Look at the roles and see what skills they want and then go learn those skills.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I agree with Dave, the trouble with learning 'stuff' is that unless you're using it day in day out then that 'stuff' soon disappears and you forget.

Find out what you want from a career perspective and aim at studying that.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

@dmarsh thanks I think I may tackle bash after

@SimonD yeah I agree.. not sure how to overcome this.. pretty much everything I learned from the few certs Ive done has been forgotten.

5. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Been thinking about this as well as other random things over the weekend.

Linux was widely requested where I worked so I did what I could. I set up a Kali linux VM but stupidly forgot the password to log in, so i looked it up to see if there was a way to do this and sure enough there was a way, which isnt a big thing but knowing it now is decent to have. What I generally do to remember most things is bookmark the hell out of stuff and also use something like one note or google keep.

Doing this has saved me lots of time, so much in fact that off the top of my head i can format a USB stick using the command line, I can also use the run command to use shortcuts to do stuff like add and remove programs (appwiz.cpl), i can also navigate the regsitry locally or remotely to delete user keys if a profile has become corrupt.

I suppose what I am trying to say is just keep digging and things will come to a point where you forget what you ever did in the first place. My main enjoyment was to challenge myself to become faster at something if there was a big issue so it was easier to do.

If its part of your role then look into it, if not then think of a way to access it when you need it, my bookmark bar is full of links to stuff thats there for a rainy day.

Ill stop waffling now

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680