I smiled too soon

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Alex Wright, Jul 26, 2007.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well firstly I'd polish off that CV and resubmit it to a few agencies....

If you are really pissed Id wait until they ask you to reapply and then say something like 'funny could swear I did this a few weeks ago, can't you just use the stuff I said then?' :twisted:

Trust me this is just due dilligence, companies legally have to do certain things when they are planning on big cuts, they need to prove they are following the process and that they saved jobs that could be saved etc.

You may or may not be in the cut, question is what sort of company is it gonna be during / after the cut ? Often these things are like buses, they happen in groups and things generally get worse before they get better...

Sometimes firms prefer a LIFO policy, this can be because they just need to cut costs but think they are efficient. Newer employees won't require large payouts,
    other times they want to cut the dead wood thats causing the issues. If you are cheap this may be in your favour, however don't count on any payrises or training etc...

Whatever you think it pays to have options, so I'd use their re-application policy to polish up you CV and job hunting skills on work time ! :D

2. Crito

Crito Banned

The people who survive will all get certificates of appreciation. It's standard procedure after a restructure.

These things are more about the new "boss" exerting his/her authority than actually running the business. Which is why consultants like me are often brought in immediately after to "fill in gaps" and "transfer knowledge" to the obedient dogs, er, employees that remain.

My advice is to worry less about you resume and start kissing some serious arse. Brown-nosers are what they're really looking for. :ohmy

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I've never been a brown noser and never will, so I guess I'm screwed :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Armchair Pimp

Armchair Pimp Byte Poster

Having just been through the same experience I know how it feels.. I've worked in IT for the government for about 10 years (you know us.. no training.. low wage etc..).. been working in a job for nearly three years.. do you think they turn round and give it to me? Erm.. no.. I've had to apply for it in an open competition...

I got the job.. but it's still a tough way of doing things..

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL Found+Pract, A+
    WIP: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP
  5. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

I had a meeting with the CTO today. Not only is my job safe, he's also given me a £2500 pay rise - get in!

I'm feeling guilty for ever doubting the bloke - he's definately on my Christmas card list.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Great news, Alex. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Thanks Trip. As I said in one of my previous posts: I was always confident of keeping my position. But a payrise, after SIX weeks, gotta confess I didn't see that one coming! :D

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  8. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Congrats Alex, that is good news.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Wow, great news!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

I got to this post later on... but great news and congratulations Alex!

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff