I really need some advice

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by pete2uk, May 11, 2007.

1. pete2uk

pete2uk New Member

I really need advice. i am looking at getting an mcad in c#, only i have a limited budget, as i am already working all hours just to pay rent! Do you think self study is the way to go? I've been looking at "computer futures online" for training, but i am very unsure. If you have any warnings about this company, or can recommmend a company that you your self have used, i would be very obliged.

any advice at all will be greatly recieved.

Thanks.

2. Abbsta

Abbsta Bit Poster

Hi Pete,

If you are on a tight budget, then self study could be your only option. How much would this company want? You've to ask yourself how much extra knowledge would this company be able to offer you that you can not get yourself.

I have been involved (and still am to a certain extent) with a company in which in the end I felt that they didn't teach me something I couldn't learn myself. If you're a person who hates self study and prefer instructor classes then go for it but make sure they don't charge silly prices and they provide for all materials, books etc.

However, if you are disciplined enough to do it then any questions that you may have could be answered here or someone would be able to guide you.

I'm doing the same course now and if there is anything I could help you with don't hesitate to ask.

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCDBA and MCAD C#.NET
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Start hunting around for a copy of Visual Studio 2003, as this can be quite pricey - but this is where you need to gain experience.

Unfortunately the trial versions seem hard to find now that MS is pushing 2005.

It may be worth looking at an MSDN subscription. Unfortunately this product doesn't ship with the Action Pack.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You will definitely need Visual Studio, microsoft used to do discounts for students and also cut down versions with books etc I'd look into this. The enterprise version is the really pricy one and you don't need this to start. MSDN subs used to be a real life saver, they are no longer really required if you have a good internet connection as most of its available online as regards to the docs.

If you have programmed in any high level language and understand basic OO concepts then picking up C# should be a doddle.

If you feel you require training and are on a budget and have free time I'd reccomend a trip to india, you can spend a month in india training for what it would cost for two weeks here and that includes the flight, the exams and the hotel.