I need urgent help on my deleted(lost) files by a virus

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by kobem, Jun 17, 2011.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Hi people, i have a problem. The problem is that, a virus had infected the netbook from a usb flash drive. However, i didn't run that virus infected file on that drive.
    But, i needed to transfer another file important from that drive to the computer.
    Eventually, I killed the virus.

Still, it had erased two of my files from my computer. I noticed that situation late(10 days later), i researched for data recovery applications to get these files back. But, applications i have tried so far only found them. While i am saving these lost files, they couldn't show me the original content of
    these files.

What should i do? Am i not able to these somehow?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Just restore from a backup you will be fine.

You do make backups right???....

Certifications: A few.
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What sort of files are they?
    If they are office documents, you may be able to salvage something from your auto-save files if you can find them.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

few points, as Rob points out you should have backups if the data was important. If not it's a lesson learnt. Second the longer you leave it the more chance the harddrive sector with the data on it will of been overwritten with new data and then your out of luck. Try some software like Recuva (which is free) but if that doesn't work then you might have to buy some good recovery software or take it to a recovery company which is very expensive and there is no guarantee of success.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

THIS! The number one rule whenever you realize you deleted a file that you need is to stop everything. Every second that goes by after you deleted the file the likelihood of you recovering the file is decreased. Immediately get a program like recuva and run a scan of the HD. I can personally vouch for recuva's effectiveness as it saved my butt once recovering somewhere around 80-90% of the files that were mistakenly deleted off a user's 160 GB HD.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  6. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Sorry, i couldn't come back a long time for this topic. But, result wasn't good for me. Even though, I installed many applications/recovery programs, i couldn't get them back. The only thing these programs did was showing my files and names.

Frustrating.

Certifications: CCNA