I need some guidance please

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by rayvon, Aug 13, 2009.

1. rayvon

rayvon New Member

Hi i am new to this forum have had a little look round and thought it was great with some real good advice.

I am 27 and very recently just passed my A+ and N+ compTIA through self study, my troubles are where do i go next, i realise it is a pointless exercise going down the Cisco route as i have no experience in the field at all and that the qualification only lasts 3 years.I am but a mere fork truck driver and unemployed at that lol, anyway am just wondering what to do now.

I would love to be in charge of a large coporate network one day although i do realise that is a long way off if ever.

sorry my mind wonders lol, am thinking of doing either the MCSA , MCDST, or the MCITP but cant make my mind up because no advice has been offered, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

IMO, you should go for the MCDST. You've covered the general basics with the A+ & Network+, now it's time to build upon that. There's no point in learning about server's and implementing networks if you don't have the client side knowledge.

Good luck with the studies :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You're missing the forest for the trees. What you should do now is get out there and start applying for some entry-level IT jobs!!

If you want to continue certifying, by all means, pursue the MCDST (and no farther until you get some real-world experience). But you shouldn't wait to start looking for jobs until you're all certified... you should have started looking at the same moment you cracked your A+ book for the first time. :)

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with both the gents... You're best bet is to start doing entry level work... build on that before going any further. I have the basic certs as well and been doing desktop support and slow moving to networking as I go along... this has been a three year process... my next step to do some networking get the experience and go for the 290 exam.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. rayvon

rayvon New Member

Thanks you guys for the advice but as i am quite new to this what sort of entry level job should i be looking for?

Is getting higher certified a hinderance more than a help if you have no experience?

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: MCDST
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi Rayvon,

Firstly, not to worry - I was a 'mere' forklift driver too some 5 years ago :wink: we make good techies!

You are quite right - with the A+ and the N+, you can start getting your CV in there. Have a search around the forums - the most common ones people use are CW Jobs, Reed, Jobsite and Monster. LinkedIn is quite useful too. You're looking for 'desktop support', '1st line support' - those kind of job roles.

By all means pick up the MS Press books and start studying towards the MCDST - it is considered an entry level Cert, but is vendor specific to Microsoft's products and will more than likely stand you in good stead.

Good luck!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

It can be, at the very least it might be a waste of time (i.e doing a MCSE for example and not showing it on your CV). Your best bet is to start applying for 1st line support roles (or something similar) and cracking on with the MCDST.

8. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Haha, I don't have advice mate but I just wanted to say I love your name.

I am usually taking your alias at the weekends :P :twisted:

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)