I need some advice guys...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Leey2000k, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Leey2000k

Leey2000k Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

I need some advice from you guys - I am currently studying towards the MCDST and work for a small company. When I started there the MD asked if I would be interested in helping out the IT Guy I said yes and did so when he needed my help, my Direct manager also agreed and let me help whenever we were quiet, But that manager as left now and i have new one who I think sees my Helping in IT as a distraction and keeps me mega busy so now I dont have any time to help at all and I hate the jobs im being given I have spoken to him about not liking my role now and he said there isnt anything he can do about it! SO What do I do guys? Im really unhappy there now I am soo stressed all the time I dont feel like studying when i get home and its having a massive impact on my studying :cry: I get on well with the MD so do I go above this boss and ask for a job in IT or do I leave it and ask my manager again?? I would just quit but I dont really fancy going through all the getting to know people and then I still wont get any IT Experience.

Please Help guys any advice? :(

Certifications: 70-271
    WIP: MCSDT
  2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Go talk to the MD and tell him/her what is happening. It is his/her company s/he instructed you to do the IT task s/he can tell the new manager what has been agreed.

3. Leey2000k

Leey2000k Bit Poster

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the comment only trouble is isnt that going to look like I am telling tales! I dont wanna cause any uneasiness in the office!!

I really dont know what to do!

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would speak to your MD about it. Perhaps something can be agreed with your manager to let you help out in the IT department at certain times so they know when you won’t be around. Sounds like it’s a bit vague in regard to when you will be working with the IT guy and this might cause some problems.

Best of luck! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I wouldn't worry about going to the MD you have to think about number 1. Have you approached the new guy about it and told him exactly how you feel? Try that first and if you don't get anywhere then go to the MD.

Either way get how you feel out into the open and onto the table so to speak. Your career is the most important thing so don't feel bad about doing what you have to do if necessary.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Some managers may not appreciate you going over their head to the MD, others could care less.

To me it sounds like you have a grievance with the type and variety of work you are being given. Your company should have a policy/grievance procedure which you are perfectly entitled to follow. This may include a meeting with the MD to discuss your thoughts or maybe there is another approach? You should arm yourself with a copy of the company policy book and read through the relevant sections before taking any action. These company policies are designed to protect the employer and to protect the employee, so use them to your advantage.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Leey2000k

Leey2000k Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies guys! I will look into the company policies!