I NEED ADVICE & I NEED IT NOW!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by gunga_jim, Nov 8, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Wow! That's a long way. I know that people who live in and around large metropolitan areas can commute long distances that that's quite a trip. I have to admit being spoiled since my commute one-way is 3 1/2 miles. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You should be practicing on getting real-world Cisco experience before pursuing the CCNP. Certifications without experience aren't very useful... and this is coming from someone who works in the certification training industry. Once you've got that experience, the CCNP will be quite worthwhile... at that point, grab you some Cisco Press or Sybex books and start studying (and practicing).

You get points by providing helpful advice. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. gunga_jim

gunga_jim Bit Poster

You guys said that if i was serious that i would travel. I'm serious.... but knackered!!!:eek:

Certifications: MCP & CCNA
    WIP: CCNP maybe CCVP whilst i'm there...
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I did a daily commute of approximately 250 miles round trip for more than 6 months. If you like what you're doing, where you're doing it, who you're doing it for, and how it fits into your goals, it can be done.

I'd been doing it for around 4 months when one of the people there had to make 2 trips in one weekend down to where I live and back. They looked at me on Monday morning and asked how I'd been able to do it for as long as I had been doing it. To tell the truth, I hadn't even thought about it. The long drive was required to get to where I wanted to go, occupation-wise, so I just did it. I guess it's just like anything else. If you're motivated, you do it. If you're not really motivated, you don't.

If you ask me, the OP'er is motivated. He'll go somewhere. He will reach his goals.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

That is an uber long commute. Will you get any sort of travel allowance or benefit? If not, it's going to cost you a fair whack in money doing a commute like that, not to mention the effect that amount of miles will have on your car (assuming you have one). My daily commute is about 30miles in total and costs me about £50-60 a month in petrol. That's in a car that is ultra economical as well (60MPG), god help you if you have something with crappy economy. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. gunga_jim

gunga_jim Bit Poster

I was so happy with getting a job after the wait that i forgot to ask about expenses. I suppose it's alway's worth a shot - i've just been told that after 2-3 weeks that i can relocate to their site which is just 50 miles from my house so.....

Maybe after a year or so they maight develop a site that's on my doorstep!!

I thought that whilst i'm here i'll grab anyone's opinion. I'm not sure if i'm qualified (actually i know i'm not), but i was thinking of doing a step by step guide to first CCNA, then CCNP etc. I'd do a post every week covering all the topics in the curriculum (EIGRP,OSPF etc), with challenge labs and questions at the end.
    Obviously as there are so many xperts here it will help anybody who can be bothered to do it and also any mistakes i make could be shown as well. I just didn't want to spam the forum if people thought that it wasn't worth it. What are your opinions?

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Somewhat reinventing the wheel... but if it helps you, and it helps others, then go for it. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Be careful about posting questions that you have copied out of a book etc... if a publisher were to see it, CF could get into trouble.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. gunga_jim

gunga_jim Bit Poster

WOW - cheers for that, i didn't realise. It looks like it's going to have to be from the top of my (when i say "my" really i mean "our") heads then.