I need a mathematical genius

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Aug 6, 2006.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Are you going to give us a clue as to what your inventing? :blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Maybe later 8)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i still reckon its Underwear... to keep the valuables, safe and nice and warm in the winters... why else would she want something for her boyfriend to stay at a constant degrees.

4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

aaahh!!!!

Your such a tease! :(

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Arroryn,

You don't need the volume of the car to be able to figure out how to maintain the space at a constant temperature. What you need are;

1. the outside temperature,
    2. the direction the car is pointed and how much glass area is exposed to the sun,
    3. the color of the car,
    4. the amount of glass area and type of glass,
    5. if the windows are tinted, how dark the tinting is and what the R-factor of that tinting is
    6. the external metal surface areas of the car,
    7. the insulation R-factors for the doors, roof, firewall area, back seat, and underneath of the passenger compartment,
    8. whether or not the engine is running and how much heat is generated by the engine in the engine compartment through radiation and the hot air coming off the radiator,
    9. height and width of doors,
    10. length and breadth of roof and underside of passenger area,
    11. height and width of firewall and back seat areas,
    12. what assumption you are using for outside temperatures as heat transfer varies on based on temperature differential between condition space and outside environment.

From that you can figure heat gain and loss as what I gave you is the basic information, although adapted to an automobile, that is needed to figure the cooling and heating needs of a building or room. It's been years since I have had to do heat loss/gain calculations so I may have forgotten something but I don't think so.

I used to size heat pumps, air conditioners, and furnaces for residential and commercial buildings as a part of my former career. To do that I had to do heat loss/gain calculations. I probably have an old workbook somewhere on how to do this by hand as the math isn't very difficult because there are tables that tell you loss/gain per square foot for different R-factors, but most people now do heat loss/gain calculations using software.

Do some Googling for figuring heat loss and heat gain and I would just about bet you can find an online source that will figure it for you if you can come up with all the information I listed above. I might be wrong, but I think I found an online one a few years ago.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Freddy - thanks for the further info. I'll certainly check out any sites I can find, working out from what you've provided.

TCM - it's not about keeping my pants warm in winter. Sorry. :rolleyes: :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA