I must have missed something!

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Boycie, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I want to network my laptop to main PC. It is handy so I can access a bigger hard drive etc :D

I have run the network set-up wizard on the main PC first and then ran it on the laptop. I have disabled both firewalls but for some reason My main PC can see my laptop in "My network places" but my laptop cannot see my Main PC :dry
    I have enabled a folder on the main PC to "share with all on the network" and I can see it on the laptop in "My shared folder" :blink

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

How is your laptop set to pick up it's IP, Boyce ? Are you using statics, or dynamic?

Basically, unless you are using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), or unless you have some other form of DHCP running on the desktop, then set them both to statics in the same range, eg, 192.168.0.1 (desktop) and 192.168.0.2 (laptop).

However if you ARE running ICS on the desktop, then set the laptop to pick up it's IP automatically. Also, if doing this, make sure you boot the laptop after the desktop, so it can get the IP from the desktop (that one shafted me many times !)

Apologies if you're already aware of all of the above, and there will probably be more elegant solutions offered, but it's hopefully at least something to think about.

HTH :)

EDIT: Just re-read and saw the bit about the network wizard. I always prefer to set this up manually, hence my answer above. My bad :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Hi Gav,

Something strange is going on. When I turned the main PC off (it succesfully re-started after the original set-up disk) it froze on the XP screen :ohmy

I selected to re-start on the last know good and it worked the second time around. I wonder what could have happened to make it go potty on the networking side for that to happen.
    There is no reports in Event viewer.

I use the laptop via wireless to my linksys gateway which is set to pick up address' via DHCP.
    I will set the address to static. I wonder what the hell happened?

4. Pie Eater

Pie Eater Nibble Poster

Hi M8

I have three PC's linked up in a wireless network with internet connection sharing.

Basically my upstairs PC and my Laptop connect to my main PC downstairs which has the internet connection (all ad-hoc mode)

I first installed all three PCs with wireless cards...installed software...restarted them making sure the wireless connection was connected.
    Then I ran the set up home network option in windows making sure all file sharing was active..on all PCs.
    As said above I restarted all PCs after that ,my main comp first. and they all connected with each other.

Must admit it took a few restarts to get it right, but its been working ok now for a few weeks.

Also I had to make sure that all the wireless settings were the same in all PCs including WEP settings. (which also took a couple of attempts.

Sorry if this post seems a bit muddled!!

Pie

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, MCP, MCDST
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks for your help guy's.
    After assigning Class C Static address' to both and a few re-starts it seems to be working perfectly :D

Strange, what caused the desktop to lock up though? :rolleyes:

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've not had much trouble with my own mixed mode network (wired/wireless) in awhile. My DSL device (I can't really bring myself to call it a "modem") has a built in wireless AP so it automatically provides Ethernet and Wireless connectivity. I have a patch cable connecting the device's wireless port to my 10/100 switch and the family and lab PCs are hooked in there. The three laptops in the house all connect wirelessly. I did use the wizard to set up the wireless network initially but it seems to have yielded good results.

The DSL device hands out IPs via DHCP and both the wired and wireless computers pick up their addys that way. Since moving to the new house, I have had interference problems with the wireless networks of my neighbors but I opened up the list of networks and deleted theirs. Since then, the laptops have connected flawlessly.

I wish I had a clue why your PC tried to take a puke but I'm clueless here. Computing is still one part black magic and one part voodoo so something things "just happen", especially with wireless. Glad you got it sorted. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks Trip. It has been working perectly since :biggrin