I lied on my cv

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by drivinginstructor, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crito

Crito Banned

I can somewhat sympathize as I've been accused of lying on my resume when I was telling the absolute truth. So why not just lie to those people then? They're going to call you a liar regardless. But in the end you'll have to live with yourself, not some recruiter, and the truth is a lot easier to remember.

Tweak to your heart's content but don't make stuff up. That'll just trip you up later. Its sad statement about the world we live in but, as anyone can plainly see in politics, what matters most is how little negative info they can dig up, not how much positive info about you they can find. So don't give your opponents ammo to use against you.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Eh? How can you say that if you haven’t even worked in IT. :ohmy

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I'm sorry to say, but lying on your CV is the most stupid thing that anyone can do. Even people with that experience are 50/50 in terms of being suitable for the job. What makes you think that you are in any better a position thatn someone with real experience in lying on your CV? It's ridiculous.

Yes, you have dug yourself into a hole because your CV has already been seen and likely has visited many HR desks - some of whom you will not know if you decide to be honest, and if they have your CV 'on file' as some they they do, then they will be able to compare your lies with the honesty, end up not trusting you and putting both your CVs in the bin.

Take a time-out and decide on your next move.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I already answered your post above with regards to your 'dream job' on this thread.

So just incase you don't want to go over there and look here's what I put (mods please remove if there's a better way of linking):

If you don't stand to get the job without telling lies to get a foot in the door, then don't you realise that you probably don't have what it takes to do this job?

Yes. Yes. Yes. You feel you've had to lie to just get to interview stage. Does that not fill you with even the slightest amount of worry that you might in fact not be completely prepared for what they need you to do?

I'm going to break this down into the core parts in the job specifications, and how you are completely overestimating your abilities and what they need from the person they are going to employ.

If you're experienced with the OSs and the specified software, then fine. But you are evidently not used to 'users' as you are unsure of what troubleshooting to expect. Jamming printers? Disappearing toolbars? Mucked up resolutions? Most user queries at first line are the mundane things that IT techs 'take for granted' as it were. That's why we're there to help them - we already have the 'know how'.

But if you've never had any customer service experience (as it seems to appear) OR IT experience in a corporate environment, then do not apply for this job.

I'm sorry, but the fact that you even said that smacks of arrogance, ignorance, or a sublime mix of the two. My 'first' IT job has consisted of such things as troubleshooting hardware and software, configuring AD accounts, troubleshooting servers, configuring ghost images, negotiating deals with suppliers, ripping out a coax network and installing a new ethernet network, and a multi-site VoIP rollout, never mind the boring stuff! It's not all *turn it off and on again* and it is not something you can walk in to.

If it were a small business with a small number of employees then fine. But the warning bells you should have paid attention to are these:

The 'one weakness' you say you have is troubleshooting. If you go in with your purported 'experience' they'll want you to be able to resolve issues without turning around and asking for help every two minutes. If you're not experienced at troubleshooting techniques, then you are going to panic, for the following reasons:

... and they don't mention how many other first line techs there are... with a company this size, don't count on there being many.

You haven't got any experience of this... but the hint of its 'usefulness' gives an insight into how quickly they'll possibly want you to progress in your job role.

And without the supervision, with a lack of experience, where do you turn when second line isn't there, and all user eyes turn to you as their first bastion of IT support?

I'm sorry, I don't normally get on my high horse like this, but you're not looking at this from a realistic viewpoint, and you're severely underestimating what you're probably going to have to do on the job. If I were you, I would withdraw from the job interview, change my CV to reflect the truth, and go for jobs that will mean you're not in the deep end and drowning at the first week. If you did go for it and somehow got the job (as a lack of experience will be clear in the job interview) then I would be suprised if you made it past your probationary period.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Nice. If you were my employee and I discovered this, I would immediately dismiss you with cause.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, it's not an entry-level position at all. An entry-level position is one in which you ENTER the career field... thus, one that doesn't require experience. Someone with experience has already entered the IT field. This position requires experience; therefore, this is not an entry-level position.

You're right; someone without experience would not be considered for the position. And you don't have experience working in a helpdesk support or desktop environment... either of which ARE typically entry-level jobs. Start there... THEN move up to a job like this, AFTER you gain real-world experience.

...but not in a real-world business domain environment. Dinking around with computers at home is great... but it's not considered "experience" by employers. Certainly that knowledge will come in handy when applying for a true entry-level job.

That's because you haven't supported users using Office... you've supported YOU using Office. When/if you get into IT, you'll realize that there's a big difference between the two.

If you don't have experience, then it's not the ideal job.

But... you're not a desktop support technician for that company. You don't have that experience. You're doing yourself a disservice and you're doing the employer a disservice by applying for that job under false pretenses.

If the employer thought the job could be done by someone without experience, they'd have listed it as such.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Certifications don't enable you to do a job.

Correction: you don't stand a chance of getting an interview without tweaking your CV... you don't stand a chance of getting a job without experience.

So, yes, I do still disagree with what you've done. You're lying. Have you no integrity?

I'll put it bluntly: you don't deserve to get the job. Personally, I hope that Tom Blackden at Comtecs figures out you've lied about your experience. And considering your failure to "man up" and correct what you've done, you don't deserve to be in IT.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

For the money their quoting in that job spec, even for the City, that is never a entry level post. No way. You don't get £25k in a first job. Unless you did your certifications through a training provider, why of course your starting salary will be at least £25k!!:biggrin

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I hope you've changed your attitude since you made this statement. Yeah...lying on my CV and saying I'm a world renowned brain surgeon would probably get it noticed...but I'd be exposed as a fraud in short order (at least you hope so...that is, before someone puts a scalpel in my hand and let's me loose inside your skull). :eek:

Yes.

As an admin, I don't like entering into these sorts of debates, but I think you struck a nerve with just about everyone on this forum, including me. I've been sweating bullets trying to turn a temporary job into a permanent one. I've worked damn hard over the past five years or more, going back to school, taking a full-time classload and working full-time at a slave job...hardly seeing my family...then, after graduating, taking low-level job after low-level job...usually temp/contract...trying to build up my CV to put myself in a position to qualify for the sort of positions I've been aiming at.

In the process, I "discovered" a talent for merging my neophyte technical skills with writing, and a career was born. It's been a long, pain-staking path and it's not over yet. There just is no exception as far as paying your dues, working hard, making sacrifices, in order to pursue and achieve your goal.

Taking short cuts and then at least intimating that you think it's "ok" is a slap in the face to the rest of us. Get a grip, junior. Rework your CV so it tells the truth and don't compound the lie by going to interviews based on selling potential employers a false image of your background and skills.

Rant over.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This is going to get confusing if we maintain this conversation here, given that the original poster has apologized in a separate thread. For that reason, I'm locking this thread and suggesting that anyone who wants to continue to respond to this situation first read, drivinginstructor's apology and, if still inspired, respond in that thread:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread27142.html

Certifications: A+ and Network+