I have finally decided!!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Loki30000, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Loki30000

Loki30000 Bit Poster

I have decided to sit at home and study from books, starting with C++. I have the book a PC and plenty of time. Lets ROCK. I'll keep you informed as to my progress (like anyone is actully interested :rolleyes: ) but it'll be kinda like a diary, that others can use as ref or to just poke fun at. :(

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: Home learning C++. Then VB and JAVA
  2. Loki30000

Loki30000 Bit Poster

your imupts would be of help. if you think i'm wrong to take this route please let me know.

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I don't do programming so I'm out of my depth here. I think the diary concept has potential. It would not only help others pursuing a similar path but would also be your "engineering journal" of sorts so you could monitor your own progress. Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Loki - I know the Guys here will certainly provide all the help they can manage to answer any questions you might have.

I respect your decision to try it alone - even if you discover after the first cert that self-study isn't for you, you can still go back and review your decision, then if need be change your plans. I don't mean to me negative - quite the reverse. If only I'd been aware enough when I'd started out, I'd have saved many many £££. Of course, back then, there was no CertForums !!!

Good luck - keep us posted :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Best of luck Loki, do keep us posted on how you're getting on.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  6. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

Of course we're interested mate, thats what we're all here for,
    to help, support and generally take the "p" out of each other!

:alc

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  7. Loki30000

Loki30000 Bit Poster

My friends your support has been taken on board with many thanks. you help will be (with out doubt) most useful.

8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

This place is like the support of a cricketers box. Either good with lots of protection or pinches like hell

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  9. Stu_C

Stu_C Byte Poster

Thinking back to when i was trying to learn C++ at home, The most difficult thing i found to grasp were stacks, and pointers. All of the books seem to make them out to be something more complicated than what they are.

Good luck with your studies.

Stu_C

Certifications: Bsc(Bronze Swimming Certificate)
    WIP: C# MCP, MCAD
  10. Loki30000

Loki30000 Bit Poster

well so far i've read about 10pages and yes it's a bit confussing already :eek: . With the little back ground knowledge i have i thought i'd understand a little more than i do. I think once i've installed Visual studio things may become a little clearer (I hope) :blink

11. DancesWithBSOD

DancesWithBSOD New Member

Speaking of C++ and the like, can anyone recommend any particular books to learn from? I can say with quite some authority that the ones that Loki is using are a bit pants (I should know, he borrowed them off me). Also, would I be better off trying to learn C++, or would C# be the better option? (Bear in mind that my current workplace is highly Microsoft oriented - only the firewall and the webserver run Linux). With little real experience of either, I'm not sure how similar/different/interchangeable they are. :blink

Oh, Loki - be warned, if it looks like you're making faster progress than I am, I'm going to be bugging you for tips & pointers :twisted:

Certifications: BSc IT
    WIP: Unsure
  12. Stu_C

Stu_C Byte Poster

Well for writing cutting edge 3d games i would say C++. For an office/IT enviroment i would say C#. Microsoft is really pushing C# at the moment as a rapid development language.

Stu_C

Certifications: Bsc(Bronze Swimming Certificate)
    WIP: C# MCP, MCAD
  13. BaggyBoy

BaggyBoy New Member

Good for you Loki,all the best mate hope it works for you,unlike you I still have to decide what to do but having almost no knowledge think I may have to 'pay the money' (eek) and go the NITLC route i'm gonna need all the help i can get,must decide soon though!! keep us posted on progress :eek:

Certifications: none
    WIP: pondering
  14. Loki30000

Loki30000 Bit Poster

like i'm gonna make faster progress than you (Dances, you freaky uni gradutate). but if i do i will be rubbing your nose in it. ;p