I hate my new job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Pete01, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I completely agree with the above statements. I’m not dissatisfied just because they won’t invest in technology, it’s the whole attitude towards the IT department because we don’t generate revenue for the company. I find it backward and very outdated. The rest of the company have nice clean (read hygienic) workspaces and if their heating system breaks they get it fixed.

Of course there should be proof of benefit to the business to justify upgrading, unfortunately there are two different types of company out there – those who embrace innovation and like to move with the times and those who resist it, ignoring the advice of their IT people and only finally get the message when some mission critical piece of kit finally pops its clogs (Exchange 5.5 knackered information store anyone?)– and guess who gets the blame for that one….

I’ve worked for both kinds of organisation and I’m currently in the wrong type, so I’m not going to get too comfortable as I anticipate if I come in with a bunch or recommendations I’ll be told that there’s no budget and to get back to my call queue (and can you tidy up the however many years worth of mess in the comms room while you’re at it).

It’s not for me, but I’ll go through the motions of trying to bring about some form of change just so I can say I’ve tried when I interview for new roles. Who knows if I tell them I’m leaving because of all this maybe someone will listen..

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

On the bright side, working with those older technologies in crisis situations will help you become a better tech in the long run (as long as you keep on learning about the newer ones). I'd much rather have a tech who knows NT4, Win2K, AND Win2K3 rather than just Win2K3, ya know? :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Re. the broken heating. How cold is it? I'd look into Health & Safety regulations if I were you, I think you'll find something about minimum temperatures.

Have a look on the HSE site:

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  4. BosonMichael

Even 16 degrees, all day long, is awfully cold. I have to turn up my thermostat in my office when it gets around 19 or 20. :eek:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

You know that's Centigrade and not Faranheit right?:D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  6. BosonMichael

Yeah, I had to manually calculate it so I could "speak in your language". :D

If my employer had me working in 16F temps, I'd have to knock him around a bit...

...just as soon as I had time to thaw out. :wtf:

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - I used to work for the UKs biggest 'luxury bakers' and, as well as exhibiting every element of being a shite employer that pete has mentioned earlier, i often had to go into cold stores to fix thin clients that had conked out - temperature was below freezing in there and, in the REALLY cold store, it was minus 15!!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

What I wouldn't give for a company car and 5 minutes to work..

Just a reality check here...is it a stable company? Is the pay good? Do you work days?

I make good money, but I work nights, and don't have a company car. Training? Hmmm...at least I can spell the word. Actually they sent me to a class this year and let me resit it because it was free to resit. So 2 classes in 3 years? I don't consider that lots of trainng. On the bright side I work on good stuff. But working nights? Ack.

I would stick it out for a year and see how you feel. And keep studying on your own time.

But then..I would love to live in an area with trains. I wonder how H1B visas work in the UK. CCNPs get a lot of demand in the UK? (Not that I am a CCNP yet...but by the end of the year I (2007) I hope.)

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall