I Found Voluntary Work Experience

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mo119, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Mo119

Mo119 New Member

I am a 2nd year computer science undergrauate student, on my off days I work at an FE College as a Technician, so far i have gain the following experience.

Repair Computers
    set up wireless network of a 20 and maintain it
    helped students learn basic hardware
    create VB.Net applications fro teaching purposes

The question is would this be considered valuable experience for getting a job, after I get my degree.

The Professional field I would like to get into is Networking(technician,adminstrator,security etc).

I have gained a GNVQ Intermediate ICT, AVCE ICT Double award and GCSE Information technology, These are my only I.T related qualifications, which certs would be benefial for me i.e cisco etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes it would be counted as valuable experience, put it on your cv & get the IT bods to be referees on it too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

You should find work straight after your CS degree. After I graduated I took a few months off then walked straight into an IT support role without any problems at all.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Work done as part of a school course in a controlled lab environment would not be considered work experience.

Work done as part of an actual job, supporting users/customers, even if it's a volunteer job, is ABSOLUTELY considered work experience, and will be quite valuable on a CV. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Let's take a look at this from the point of view of adding this to a CV:

"Repairing Computers" covers quite a bit of territory. You might want to break that down on a CV in terms of the specific activities involved.

I assume you mean that you set up a wireless network for 20 users and you currently maintain that network (which should probably include troubleshooting any problems with it).

You say you helped students learn basic hardware. What does that mean. Were you teaching a class? What kind of hardware? You will also probably need to break down this activities into smaller, more descriptive bits.

Create VB.Net applications for teaching purposes also needs a bit more of a description. How complicated was it to write this code? What are these applications supposed to do?

Yes, it's valuable experience, volunteer or no. The trick is in presenting it in the right way to make potential employers sit up and take notice. It's good that you're compiling this information now. By the time you're ready to apply for entry-level IT jobs, you'll be all set. Cheers. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Mo119

Mo119 New Member

Thanks, for your helpful replies everyone.

7. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Getting some pratical Quals like A+ & N+ would show you have all round knowledge as well.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+