I dont know where to start

Discussion in 'Network+' started by codexis, Jan 13, 2014.

1. codexis

codexis New Member

I studied 2 year in IT in dominican republic but i didnt finish it. Means i dont have any probes of study , all i know i have it in my head everything relative in network and troubleshooting computers. So im hoping to get this certification to get a real job i dont care if i have to start from a low salary as long as is a IT area. Can i start with network+ and skip a+, even i gonna study ccna too . I want to know if these certs will help Me to get in in IT in US. I heard about ceh and security+ , i like to work everything have to do network and security. So im little lost. Im 31 with no diploma but knowledge of IT fromcollegues in 2 years ..thanks

2. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

How much IT experience do you have if any at all? Have you got anything to put on your CV that shows some work in IT that you have done in the past be it desktop or networking related?

If the answer to the above question is no, I think you will find it hard to get into a network job straight away. So I would advise in this case A+ is a safer route as you CAN get into dekstop support jobs with no previous experience. Once you have your foot on the ladder, start studying N+ (dont take the exam, its not actually worth anything). Get your head around the concepts and then jump into CCENT (Part 1 of the CCNA). Take this exam and you will be able to get a junior network engineering job. That's what I did.

If you do have some experience in IT. You may possibly be able to go straight into a networking job, I say this because when I was a junior in the field nobody would touch me without a previous company on my C.V. As soon as I had a year at a company more opportunities in networking came up. Study N+ (dont take the exam again) then work through CCENT, depending upon your previous experience you could look at sitting the one exam CCNA or do them in two stages (ICND1 + ICND2).

Make sure you always have the end goal driving your motivation to learn. I had to work a year as a desktop support guy, even though I had no desire to reset passwords and changing group policy. The light at the end of the tunnel for me was my drive to be a network engineer. It kept me focused and I got there in the end.

My path looked something like this.

Working at McDonnalds - Studying and passing A+ -> Got me a job working for an ISP as a Desktop support tech -> Studied CCENT whilst at the ISP, got me a secondment to networks. Did that for 6 months, passed CCENT, got my First job in networking -> CCNA, CCNA Sec, CCSA, JNCIA FWV ever since and not been out of a job since the first day.

Good Luck!

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
    Ven likes this.