I am in the wrong job...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by GiddyG, Feb 4, 2008.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Got a call from one of my brothers-in-law last night.

Apparently, he had had an issue with his printer and, rather than call me for advice, he had found some guy who was local after a search on the net.

The guy came out, switched the printer off and on, and started downloading the Windows updates (about 200MB worth I am told).

He also installed the MS driver for the printer... a DELL badged printer.

After almost an hour, he still hadn't got it working, so my brother paid him his wonga - just short of £40 - and he left.

I talked my brother-in-law through getting it working, using the latest DELL printer driver, over the phone.

For free...

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes you should have charged your brother @ £1 per minute whilst you were on the phone to him :) :p

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Your brother-in-law clearly got took for a ride. My advice to anyone calling out a techie would be "no fix, no fee".

I can picture an IT version of Rogue Traders in the future...

4. GiddyG

If I had phoned him, it would have been... :biggrin

5. greenbrucelee

you should have set a timer then then biled him for how long you were on the phone since you could have been doing something better.

6. GiddyG

My thoughts exactly on the 'No Fix, No Fee'...

I wish someone would pay me to click the button to start downloading the latest updates... 8)

Not sure whether IT bods have to belong to an association such as the BCS to be able to trade; however, having to have something like the A+ could help. Especially if there was a complaint mechanism where you could feed back into CompTIA.

7. GiddyG

Nice idea...

Mind you, at least it proved I knew how to fix the issue... 8)

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It would be a small revenge, but your brother-in-law should call this cretin asking for his money back since you knew how to fix it and this "professional" didn't.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. GiddyG

He should, but he won't... let's hope he marks it up as a lesson learned...

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

When my family first got a computer I used to love playing around with. So one day the computer BSOD appeared and I didn't know how to fix it back then, so we called a tech. The next day he arrives and works on the computer for about 2 hours. I go to see what progress he has made and found out that he ended up installing windows 95 on top of windows 98SE machine and said that the reason he installed the windows 95 OS was because there were some incompatibilities with the PC. It was an IBM Aptiva btw, which had a system restore disk, which he said was not working. So after a little argument about the money that we owed him we ended up giving him only a 20 CAD and told him to get the f*** out because he was being very arrogant and didn't do nothing for hours except for installing windows 95 without any drivers or updates and nothing was working.

My mom found another guy who really knew his stuff. He came in spent a good 2 hours him self but he installed windows 98SE, all the drivers, installed an anti-virus, memory upgrade, he basically made that pc fly like it never did before.

What a difference. When I look back at that day, I wish I knew as much then as I do now so that I could of saved us some money but the whole time he was working he was explaining to me a bunch of stuff, I guess that's how I got my kick start in a career in IT.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

So if it wan't for the first crap guy who came Prof ... You owe him! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. greenbrucelee

Well thats a good way for you learn, my learning of PC was back when I got my first computer which was a dragon32 and my old speccy. Then I went to a YTS place and they asked me to set up their PCs.

anyhow Giddy I'd bill him, print up an invoice tonight using excel and put it in the post heee heee :biggrin

13. GiddyG

LMAO... you know mate... I just might. :twisted: