I’m done with IT Support

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

One thing that has come out of all this time at home thinking about things is I realise I do not want to pursue an IT Support career.

IT support has not been of interest to me for awhile now and I think I can finally say that it isn’t the direction I want to go in.. I’ve been in the game for almost 5 years now and have learnt a lot that will defo help me with my next steps but its time I plan my escape.

I would like to remain in IT just not dealing with support/infrastructure or anything alike. I ideally would like to move more into programming and I am currently invested in learning software testing with a goal of white box testing and test automation areas of work. Its actually been an interest of mine for awhile now but never went for it.

I think whats really pushed me is that a friend of mine recently passed away and I just thought life is just way to short to live in regret or doing something you dont enjoy, I usually dont do things I think I will fail at or things that are just too uncertain but I have to change this mentality.

I will probably do support for another year just for CV purposes and it should help me get where I need to go.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Best of luck !

3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Anything’s possible mate. If you’re not happy I’d agree. Make a change. Only get one life. Do what makes you happy

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. amar7

amar7 Bit Poster

Good for you, all the best!
    Did you already decide on what to do next?

5. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I can understand where you are coming from, I wasnt bored of my first helpdesk role as the place I worked was great, but I was doing things in my sleep and I wasnt being challenged - which is what I need to keep me alert and on my toes. I would love to say I could program - but I cant, which maybe down to a concentration issue and the fact I can get easily distracted - best thing about working from home is the heaphones on, music going but no phone ringing or people walking past.

What sort of programming would you like to do, high or low level language. It will be interesting to see how you get on to be fair. I think you should definately be in IT, I think, depending on where you go it will just grow and grow.
    The place where I am now is not your traditional IT but I have taken what I have learnt from mt previous roles and adapted accordingly, oh and I cant moan about the money either.

Hope you find what you want and dont end up singing a U2 song in 5 more years time

Zx

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks, well I first want to get into software testing so the plan is to study for the ISTQB Foundation exam (which is what I am currently doing) then I am going to learn tools of the trade such as Jira and will also learn some SQL.

If I land a job as a junior tester it's likely it will be black box testing so won't be dealing with the code right away. I just need to get enough knowledge to get my foot in the door and get something relevant on my CV interms of certs.. I'm going to play it the same way I played it when getting into IT support, do a few basic certs just to get my foot in the door and grow from there and see where it takes me.

I have all the learning materials I need (I have more than I need) to get what I need done, it's just going to be a matter of staying focused.

I think it will take me a good 2-3 months to prepare for the exam and learn enough to be confident. But I don't really plan on trying to enter the field this year anyway as my CV is looking jumpy so need to stay with my current company at least 9-12 months.

7. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Yes I wrote it in my original post :)

8. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Could you script ?

In your current support roles you could try and automate as much as you can !

This should definately help in the future.