Hyper-V. Configuring a simple network.

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Dubfire, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Hi everyone,

I'm in need of some advice setting up a simple network using Hyper V.

Ive installed server 2008 Enterprise on a ML115 acting as the host, and then added Hyper V with no other roles installed. I've created one virtual machine installing server 2008 enterprise. Problem is when I add a second server 2008 virtual machine (to act as a second DC), I was unable to figure out how to configure the host's network connections to allow two virtual machines to 'talk' to each other.

Can anyone give a complete virtual/Hyper V newbie some well needed advice?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
    Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

With the Hyper-V manager loaded you need to configure whether you're going to be using Private, Internal or External networks.

Private is just that, it's used to communicate between the VM's on the Host machine. Internal allows for connecting the VM's and the Host OS only where as External gives you unrestricted access to the entire network.

In a home lab environment I would honestly suggest going down the External network so that it can communicate with your entire networking infrastructure (any routers\firewalls or shared storage).

What you will need to do first of all is configure the networking to ensure that your virtual machines are connected to an external network, it's fine to use static addresses (just ensure that your machines are on the same subnet so that they can communicate with the gateway) and you should be good to go.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Excellent. Thanks Simon - I'll get to try this out on Monday.

I'm looking to set up a simple network of two 2008 DCs, and 1 Vista client (for now). Ive only got 4GB of RAM in the server, how much should I dedicate to the virtual machines? Or is this too much to ask from this amount of RAM?

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...