hungover

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Sep 17, 2005.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well first of all , to everyone wh0o gave me advice with reformatting a HD and my mates computer, its done and working great now , and i even got 30 quid for my toubles , how good is that , think i could get used to it , so i owe a few people on here a drink.

Right, does anyone know of any sofware that will let me put my old tapes onto disc and even clear the sound up on them . Ive got loads and they arent in the best condition.

I would also like some insight on my computer security. does any one know of a program that can block attacks and shred my history so its not recoverable , ive not got anything to hide but i really dont like the thought of someone spying on me etc

All advice as usual is appreciated

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

To asnwer your first question, Audiograbber will do the job for you. Ryan pointed this out to me a while back, and it is the Westie's Testes !! And free ... :)

As for erasnig disk info, there's some good threads around here from the past about this - Killdisk springs to mind, but they vary in efficacy (and time taken to wipe the drive). Have a good search through this BOard - it's here somewhere. Sorry I can help a little more on this one :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

i use a good program called tracks eraser from acesoft. its fully customisable so you can set it to run when you leave your browser, shutdown etc and it uses american department of defense erasing standard 5220.22-M to overwrite the files. as for blocking attacks i reckon zone alarm is one of the best firewalls you can get and it's free!

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

I always recommend Trend Micro as it really is an all in one package. The 2005 version has a Micorsoft vunerability checker to warn you of any patches that are missing, wireless network security, pie hot virus scanning (can scan compressed formats, and a very configurable firewall too!

As for the shredding software I have read a few articles now saying that it slows your browsing down a fair bit and doesn't really hide/shred much any how.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

For cleaning history etc ccleaner is the best ive ever come across. Its free and very quick. Couldn't live without it!

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Neall

WIP: A+