HTC Desire

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by craigie, Mar 24, 2010.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Dirty boy !!

I know several people that have ditched their iphones for the HTC Desire, it is a nice phone

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. Rik

Rik Nibble Poster

Got a HTC Desire a week ago!

I absolutely love it :)

Which apps do u guys use for Remote Desktop btw?

If you havent got one yet, my advice, GET DOWN THE PHONE SHOP!! :) or order online of course :)

3. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Ditched my N97 to get one of these, extremely happy so far!

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Love it. :super

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Got one a few weeks back. Rooted it and gone with plain android 2.1. Looking forward to froyo soon. Another good reason to ditch sense if you're brave enough. Hero owners are still stuck on 1.6 god only knows how long it'll be before before we see 2.2

Head over to modaco for the latest developments.
    http://android.modaco.com/category/430/htc-desire-desire-modaco-com/
    Or XDA
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=628

I've been following Paul O'Brien and Cyanogen on twitter to keep up with the latest news. Was in the first wave of Rooters. I love android. I'll wait a few weeks after they put froyo on it before flashing though. At least until Modacos got a kitchen up anyway. He bakes Wavesecure into the /system for super security. If you dont have wavesecure I'd say it was well worth the money. remote locking, backup and tracking software:super

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  6. orangepeeleo

orangepeeleo Nibble Poster

Got one of these a few weeks back and i love it, and i haven't even used it to its full potential in the slightest, infact my number 1 feature is the fact that i have a gameboy advance emulator on there which runs really well and has helped me re-live my youth a bit.... played a pokemon game for about 5hrs straight the other day lol (with the charger connected ofc!)

One thing that i've not been able to work out the real pros and cons of though is rooting, seems to be the buzzword at all the android communities but i don't really get it, anyone want to enlighten me??

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  7. orangepeeleo

orangepeeleo Nibble Poster

To just emphasise my ignorance of the more advanced features of the desire..... this means nothing to me lol straight over my head, what is the word kitchen doing in that paragraph! :blink

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  8. skulkerboyo

Sure. Root access allows you to run apps that write to the system partition or even flash customised Roms such as cyanogens.
    Until android 2.2 the only way to turn your android handset into a wifi hotspot was to root it so you could give the application root access to achieve its end.

There are lots of other apps that are great and require root and other functions as well. Search the market for apps that require root. Look on it as admin rights for you phones OS meaning you can do what the hell you want with it. I was running cyanogens rom on my old G1 until recently. An amazing rom and only able to apply it if you have root. Also the ability to back up your phone in its entirety while you try another rom then revert. They haven't quite got the desire hacked to that level yet but its coming sure enough. Cyanogen mod 5 on the desire will be great. Its the rom of choice for nexus one

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Why_Root

I like to fiddle with my kit but theres nothing wrong with stock. Its risky to root at the moment though. A few issues to iron out it seems. I haven't had any problems but I'm used to following technical instructions. Alot of people are killing handsets trying it though

I'm off to the pub

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  9. skulkerboyo

Ah sorry

You can go to Modaco and choose what features you want in your rom then download it ready to install. Things like support for hebrew text or other nice features otherwise not included in the build. The server cooks it up for you hence kitchen
    go here
    http://android.modaco.com/content/h...ustom-rom-for-htc-desire-with-online-kitchen/
    scroll down and check the options you'd want and they put it together for you. Another good reason to root

10. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

HTC Desire is the phone I have my sights on too, looking to get mine next month. Hubba hubba!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Despite what I said earlier, I've been tempted by a free Desire upgrade...

But I'm also tempted by the HTC Wildfire - seems pretty similar but smaller and lighter.
    Doesn't seem to be around yet, just wondering is anyone had heard anything good/bad yet?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Bought my Desire today. Still charging it but it's a beautiful looking little thing

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm still trying to decide between a desire and a wildfire.
    Problem is that there isn't anything in the way of customer reviews out there for the latter yet.

Thing that puts me off both a bit is that they both hype up the 'social networking' thing - you know, sync with your twitter account and see what your friends are doing on facebook etc.

Now, I don't have any friends. I don't have a twitter, facebook, bebo or any other kind of account. In fact, I have so few people that I actually want to talk to, that it's barely worth me getting a mobile phone at all. Still, I might break down on the motorway I suppose.

Anyway, do these phones nag your tits off to synchronise your online buddies, or is it something you can take or leave?

Maybe I'll just get a Nokia...

:rolleyes:

14. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - you make me larf out loud. I don't have many friends either. Most people are a PITA in one way or another, and I've found the list of people I'd call 'friends' diminishing at an increasing rate over the years. I've disabled all the 'ZOMG, Tell the hole werld where you are, all the time, innit?' features on my Desire. It's easy to do.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  15. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

My Samsung Galaxy Portal (the cheap persons Android phone) certainly doesn't whinge at me for social networking updates, that might be because by default the only social networking app on it was Myspace.....

who even uses that anymore?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  16. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate I'm not on facebook or any of that lark.

I just don't use the features, get yourself the HTC Desire.

I have been getting a few off our customers to buy them rather than the iPhone :)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  17. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It drives me nuts, to be honest.
    It's like those iPhone/iPod apps that only let you get so far into a game unless you 'invite some friends' or 'connect to facebook'.

Humbug.

I remember not so long ago, when you popped out nobody could phone you. They couldn't leave a message either unless you had one of those little casette recorders in your telephone. If they wanted to speak to you, they had to call back later.

I think the world was a better place then. Half the time they probably didn't actually want to talk to you anyway, they were just looking for something to do or doing it out of duty. Or they solved the problem themselves while they were waiting. See, far less pointless stuff going on and I'm sure everyone was more efficient.

Now my mum phones me when I'm half way round Sainsbury's to ask how I'm feeling, or the wife phones me ten minutes after I've left for work to ask what I want for dinner.

Bonkers.

18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The wildfire just looks a bit smaller and lighter.
    I guess you sacrifice a bit of screen size, but it seems to do everything else that a desire does.
    The HTC touch dual is quite a clunker, and I used to have an N80.
    Quite fancying something a bit more discreet...

19. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Come on fella, man up and make a decision :twisted:

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  20. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I can't.
    It's a mistake I'll have to live with for about two years.

I'm swaying away from a Nokia because my wife will be able to use it.
    Then she'll waste all my text minutes by sending pointless messages to her friends.