HP Printer error codes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ffreeloader, Dec 2, 2005.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Anyone have access to HP's error codes? What I mean by this is the error codes that are returned when the internal diagnostics are run an HP printer. I've searched the HP site and Googled this error code but get no returns.

The error code is: 90020101. The problem I just started having with my printer is that it will print no color but red when color printing. I've tried 3 different color cartridges, run all available software cleaning procedures, and cleaned the contact pins with isopropyl alcohol.

This happens when printing from Linux and Windows. I've also printed the internal test page that HP printers have and it comes out red too.

We've had a few power surges lately and I suspect that one of them may have damaged a board, but was just hoping that someone might be able to confirm this through the error code.

Oops. Printer is a Deskjet 895C

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Well, I found:
    this

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  3. ffreeloader

Crap!

If this turns out to be an HP builtin time clock that disables the printer after so much time I'm going to be more than a little ticked off.

4. ffreeloader

Good find TG. I must have been running searches that were too specific because I didn't come up with anything.

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Have you tried HP support Freddy, looks like the answer is going to be in a service manual rather than on the net. I came up with the same as you googling.

The trouble with ink jet printers is, if they do develop a real fault. it's often more economically viable to buy a new one rather than pay someone to service/repair it.

Let us know how you get on!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Freddy, I will email my mate back in England, he still works for the same office equipment company that I was service manager of until 2001. he might have access to a manual of some kind.

I will let you know.

PS email sent, now we will have to wait for them to wake up :biggrin

7. ffreeloader

Thanks, Bluerinse.

8. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I wouldn't think that's an issue. I have an 820CSE that I've had since before my son was born, and he just turned 6, and this printer still works like the day I bought it.

9. ffreeloader

I've been contact with HP's technical service and they will not tell me what the 90020101 error code means. All they will do is tell me how to clean contacts, print diagnostic codes, test pages, and change print cartridges.

I just sent a third email off asking for the meaning of the code. They have ignored this request the first two times I've asked and told me that I just have to go to an HP certified repair center.

I'll see how long it takes before they just quit answering my emails altogether because I'm just going to keep on asking.

10. ffreeloader

Here's an update on how HP treats their customers.

HP's technical service department has refused twice more to tell me what the error code means. They have basically admitted to just jerking me around in the first few emails when they gave me a whole lot of basic maintenance tips because they now admit that the 90020101 error is a hardware error.

They've known all along this was a trapped hardware error and yet sent me on bunny trails to make it appear as if they are being helpful. I've directly asked four times now for the meaning of the error and they keep refusing to tell me. They tell me a deskjet is far too dangerous a piece of equipment for me to touch. :rolleyes:

I finally started to get a little uptight with them on my last email. I told them as they are being deceptive with me I'm in a position as an IT tech to make hardware recommendations to people and if they don't resolve this issue with me I'm going to make sure that this problem is going to cost them money by me personally never buying another one of their products and also by telling people how they treated me and actively steering my customers away from their products.

11. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I'm keeping a very watchful eye on this thread Freddy to see what happens. I'm currently in the market for a new network printer/scanner/copier to put on my home network and a few of the HP models are high on my list......however, if this is the way thery're going to treat their customers then I'm sure the other manufacturers will gladly take my money for a new device. Keep me posted Freddy.

12. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Could'nt find anything either but the forum at http://www.fixyourownprinter.com seem to deal with pretty technical issues. Found your error code in a few posts but for a different model of deskjet.

Neall

WIP: A+
  13. ffreeloader

Well, after a few more emails here is a summation of what has happened so far.

1. My first three requests for information on the error code were completely ignored. I was given routine maintenance information.
    2. My fourth request for information regarding the error was met with a reply telling me that a Deskjet printer is too dangerous for me to work on.
    3. My fifth request was met with the reply that HP Total Care is not trained to deal with hardware errors.
    4. My sixth request was met with advice to clean the print heads, for the fourth or fifth time after telling them I have already done that.
    5. My seventh request was answered by telling me I must pay to find out what the error means.
    Anyway, that's how the HP Total Care technical service deals with their customers. I have told them that I will no longer be purchasing or recommending HP printers because, although they are exceeding polite, they've jerked me around quite badly and that their stories have changed too many times.

14. ffreeloader

Thanks, Neall. Unfortunately I've already searched that site and read everything I could find there associated with my printer.

15. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Maybe try posting mate.
    Saying that, not sure if you have to pay/register to use the forum.
    They seem to know what their talking about though.

Neall

WIP: A+
  16. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

HP used to be an amazing company - customer focussed and engineer led. Their original deskjets were so solid they had a 3 year warranty.

Sadly, they and many others have ended up paying the price for consumerism where profit margins are slim and service goes to pot.

They have had bad press from various sources for their lack of service in recent years - for example, failing to provide drivers for older equipment when new OS's appear.

I have the feeling that they're not alone there, but like freddy, a mans gotta do..

I no longer buy epson as a result of how crap their printer was that I had to chuck after just over a year of gentle use. Bought a HP multifunction and it's brilliant.. just hope it don't break...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  17. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Oh, this is the second time Epson have been mentioned.... I thought they were one of the better makers???

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I believe the problems stem from the fact that printers are so cheap these days. In the past people paid a lot of money for their printers but now, thanks to the steadily growing home market, the printers cost a couple of hundred quid or even less. There is not much margin in there for suppliers or manufacturers to make a buck. Hence the lack of support.

19. Whitey

Whitey New Member

I hope this helps you:

I had the same problem and frustrations.

It took me a couple of hours, but I solved it when I disabled and then reinstalled the printer port.

I found those instructions on the print troubleshooter program in Windows.

Good luck to you.