HP ML110 G6 - £190 with Cash Back

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by craigie, Jun 3, 2011.

1. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Ok time to get interesting, @onoski load ESXi onto the USB key and boot her up, after that remove the USB key and post us the results ;)

[added]
    On second thoughts pop a VM(not using the USB to host its file of course) on there and power it up before remove the USB key

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
    Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks Thomas, would keep you all updated. At the moment trying to install exchange server 2007 on my HP ML115 box via Vmware vsphere ESXi 4.0. The host ESXi 4.0 is running on a USB stick and using vSphere to configure vm's etc.

I have currently got two 2008 DC's and one 2003 server DC including two XP client PC's. At the moment exchange server 2007 running on a member server 2008 enterprise comes up with an error message saying exchange encountered an error.

The only other place I found some useful info was via event viewer. I am in the processing of re- installing service pack 2 for exchange 2007 and the rest of the other needed software.

Oh well, can't complain though:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

There is a good case for using this approach in production as well, as a failure in the USB/Flash drive doesn't take the host down or any VM running on the host, imagine how much you could save if you where a small datacentre with 100 host, thats 100 RAID cards and 200 hardrives you no longer have to buy, power and cool

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
    Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Hello Chaps

A couple of months ago I bought 4 of these to run Cisco Call Manager

Each one has 750GB drives and 10Gb of RAM and runs 4 virtual instances of call manager V8 on VMWARE ESXi v4. No complaints regarding performance.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  5. finisterre

finisterre New Member

Does the quad core version of this server have enough power to run the Enterprise versions of MS stuff as my test lab?

If I wanted to put the latest Enterprise versions of Server 2003/2008, SQL Server, Exchange, IIS, Sharepoint and Hyper-V on it, would it cope?

If so, any idea what size hard disk I'd need, and how much RAM?

Thanks.

6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Yes for a test lab setup it would do just fine as long as you top the RAM to at least 8GB minimum.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell