Resolved HP Docking station slowing laptops

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mallet, Dec 1, 2010.

1. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Just found this bizzare problem with our HP 4710, 4310s and 4320s laptops at work. Its related to the new HP docking stations we just got a few months back. When I was doing the test on the laptops such as running ccleaner/reg cleaner. This wasnt helping and the laptops are new. The laptops are only 1 month old. I only found this by fluke but if I take out the docking from the laptops it runs super smooth on the laptop screen. plug the docking station back in, and the GUI and everything else goes slow. its not too slow but feels slugish.

Havent got a response back from HP in some time :dry
    I was trying a few options within the power settings but this does not help. the laptops are running through there AC adapters

I will try to grab the serial number off the docking stations again. The docking station layout goes from the Squared end (cant remember the correct word :() USB cable to the the laptop USB end. on the docking station, its got the usb mouse and keyboards and the VGA cable to the external monitor.

Any help will be great :)

-Mallet

UPDATE:
    Docking station model is: HSTNN-S02X

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
    Certifications: MCP
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Are any drivers loaded when the laptop is docked? Might be some weird driver issue...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I had an issue with a Dell laptop not booting when docked. Updating the BIOS fixed the issue so it's worth a try and also updating your drivers to the latest versions as well.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

cheers folks for the replys.

hmmmmm :hhhmmm Going to review our applications and see what I can find.

Theres a a couple drivers on HP sites so its worth a shot. Is it worth doing a back up in case things go wrong for a BIOS upgrade?

-Mallet

5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Don't hold me on this but BIOS updates tend to be fine these days as they usually have fail-safe built in when updating. Just make sure your using the right BIOS update for the laptop.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Does the laptop have the original OS on it? Have you installed an image or anything like that?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Start with the simple. Check to see whether the power supply you're using with the docking station is the correct one. I've seen plenty of docking stations cause issues due to them having underpowered power supplies

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Dont worry, its cool you guys helped me out. I appreciate that alone. I need to double check what BIOS version the current laptops are running. one of the laptops was out of date by a few months. Although, this note fix is very interesting:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...EnvOID=4053&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=4

I remember not getting any software CD with the docking station. just came with PDF manuals on CD. When you plug the docking station the first time round, it detects it as a external USB device and windows then runs a driver checks on the ports of the back of the docking station like the network ports on the station. This sounds promising maybe.

It came pre-built with windows 7 Pro.

I know what you mean. I only supplied the original UK ac that came with the unit. I did check just in case it was fitted with another AC by someone else.

-Mallet

Update:

doh, just found out the user wasnt in, so I have to wait till Monday to get this sorted.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  9. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

finally got hold of a laptop before everyone started going on long vactions :biggrin

Problem solved. I didnt update the BIOS. I found out there are docking station drivers for each of the individual laptop models on HP's website called docking station 2.0
    word of advise for installing the drivers is, when you are installing these drivers they will cause the external monitors to go blank for a few minutes and you will need to use the laptop screen until it finishes. I didnt see any results until I restarted the laptop and all looks ok.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions :thumbleft

-Mallet

10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hey Mallet, it's been a while and glad to hear you've resolved the laptop docking station issue. I take it you're now back in a new role?.

Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Hey onoski. Great to see you mate. Hope you are doing cool with life and work 8)
    Thanks again for helping with my CV a few months back. I got a job as 2nd line support back in sept. Although, I had to take a pay cut to get this job and I am working twice as hard then in my last job. so its a bit depressing on the money side but I am lucky I got a job so I am not going to complain just yet ;) Its a contract role but they havent decided if they want me on or to keep me on my low income. So I gotta decide to move on or gamble and stay with them with no direction on where the job is going to go. I just sense I am there to cover the backs off for the Windows 7 deployment.

-Mallet

12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hey Mallet, that's good to hear as experience is key and considering you're now doing 2nd support plus gaining valuable experience you'd be fine.

Glad to be of help anytime as that's what this forum is about:)

Life in general is good and currently on a four day training "VMware vSphere 4 troubleshooting" course in London near Liverpool street station.

I'm hoping to look for a new job in the new year as I have been in my current firm for nearly three years and moved up from desktop 2nd line support to now server support and still learning loads so can't complain.

Keep learning and showing interest in what you do and you'd go far in your career aspirations and progression.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Sounds great onoski, I happy for you mate. Best of luck with the training.
    I am sure your CV amendments on my CV got me my current job :biggrin

Unfortunately, I did get a bit of bad news today about working long term with the company I am with. But learning windows 7 and outlook 2007 a bit more was helpful to me. I didnt know how to use either of these since day 1 but I am more comfortable using both programs.
    But in terms of looking for future work, I dont know if I can keeping doing contract work but to get a perm role. I dont know how difficult getting a perm job in this day and age is :cry:
    You have PM (just to not go off topic here :biggrin)

-Mallet

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Glad you got it sorted Mallet and an interesting fix.

(thread flag changed to resolved)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. Tierneyeom

Tierneyeom New Member

I had a problem does not start with a Dell laptop when connected. Updating the BIOS solved the problem, it makes sense to try and update your drivers to the latest versions.