How's this for a job spec?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by harpistic, Mar 15, 2008.

1. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

I've been musing over what skillset my future replacement will need, seeing as my boss won't have a clue besides magic wands, miracles, websites and 'other technical stuff'.

What do you think of this spec? - I'll be amused once the CVs come through! :dry

php (int/adv), mysql (int), joomla (int/adv), css (int), html (int/adv), javascript (int), vba (int/adv - inc dao, ole, api), unix (int), dreamweaver, photoshop, a+, network+, (mcse).

Following Fergal's post: I'm intrigued as to what you'd think if you saw the above in a job ad. (Job title would be Web Developer.)

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I think thats a bunch of meaningless nothings mate. Mainly because I have absolutley no idea what your day to day roles require you to have. Its akin to me asking you how that cheese looks in my fridge? You think its good to eat?

Sorry to sound harsh, but really, the list of specs may or may not be good or relevant to your role. How are we supposed to know?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Ouch! They're all required, the problem is they span more than one job title or typical skillset.

How's the jobhunting going?

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  4. popeye67

popeye67 Bit Poster

.... jack of all trades ... Somehow I have doubts that you can be good php/mysql/joomla/vba developer and also be good at networking , designing infrastructure and whatever else is needed for a/n/mcse. Or maybe I'm too self aware of my own limitations ?

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would laugh; you want a networking guy who is also a web developer. Don’t ask for much do you? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

The developer stuff isnt too bad, since its fairly common to expect developers to have a wide range of development skills, but I'd agree that its rare to find developers who know about networking beyond what is required for their development.

Bearing in mind that development and networking are pretty big areas in their own right, its unlikely to find someone whos in depth in both. You are more likely to find someone whos indepth with one, and dabbles in the other. Or someone whos about average with both, at best.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

A job spec should never just list a bunch of 'skills'
    you need to define what the person will be doing
    map that to a list of skills YOU think will be applicable, but be willing to step outside of that loose list of requirements for the right candidate

that list is as bad as job specs that say 'must be mcse' why? what for? what part of the role requires an mcse? what part of the mcse is utilized?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Unlike others I don't see the problem with the above. OK - it isn't how it is normaly expressed, but so what?

However - anybody who can match this will expect a serious salary. Are you prepared to pay it?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That'd be my first thought. Web developers rarely (if ever) touch networks, and network admins rarely (if ever) design websites.

Like Harry said, if you DO manage to find someone who can do both (and do them well), then you should be prepared to pay them an absurd bucketload of money.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

What do you really want this person to do? Finding someone to do exactly what you do is rare (if everything listed is what you do). Instead make a description indicating what the candidate needs immediately and what skills he/she will need to pick up while in the role.

11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I have! On quite a few occasions actually. Of course, they were all static sites with no CMS or anything fancy, so they barely count :biggrin

I agree though, anyone applying for that job is either:
    A) Likely to want about £60k,
    B) Be lying about their skillset

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I bow to your leetness. :D

I once made an extreeeemely basic Web site for an astronomy project... but this was during the mid-90s... teh intarweb wasn't yet the popular creature it turned into.

I actually have the CIW Master Designer certification... I just don't list it. :unsure

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

What you should do is sit down and write down all the day to day tasks that this person WILL be doing. Then you should define the required skillset for the actual job followed by a job description. This should be put in the required section of the job advert. You could also list a few other tasks and skills needed for them for other possible tasks that might pop up. List these as nice to have but not essential.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

What like this :-

1. Surfing the net...
    2. Telling the users to reboot their machine...
    3. Making the tea...

Surely if you actually want anyone to apply you better make the job sound good !

How about, 'Be able to support the servers using SSH while drinking margarita's by the pool' :biggrin

15. Mark-K

Mark-K Bit Poster

I'm sure it can't be that unusual ^^ I mean I used to do a lot of web dev as a hobby, programming php/mysql websites. But I'm now focusing towards the MCSA route for a career.

I'd advertise it towards web developers, and just point out that they would also need more technical skills in the description.

Hold out on the job for me ^^ I won't have the qualifications/experience for a few years :(

Certifications: CCNA, JNCIA, JNCIS, JNCIP
    WIP: JNCIE