howdy and a few tips \0/

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by zet, Jul 30, 2009.

1. zet

zet Byte Poster

Hi guys,

Just making this topic to introduce myself, so hi all 8)

So, I'll start by giving abit of background information about myself. I've recently graduated from a BSc Multimedia Technology and Design degree with a 2.1 - I initially wanted to get a job as a 3D modeler for games/animation but as the job market is far too competitive (every job i saw wanted experience) I decided that it was best at this point to find employment within a industry where you could get your 'foot in the door.'

Well, I've always had an ability to fix/repair/troubleshoot/build computers etc - it kind of comes naturally (I'm sure some of you know what I mean), and on some nerdy level I find it quite fulfilling (lol.) So I decided to start see if there was a trade or industry where you would get paid to do such a thing and hey presto there was!

Okay, so I started applying for Jobs but I got no replies back, then I got a call from a IT trainer called 'JustIT' and they wanted me to sign up for a course where they guaranteed a job or your money back etc etc - I started googling to see what this company was about and what the certificates advertised on there site were worth.

I then came across this site and wow, I'd just like to thank the people that run this site as you've potentially saved me 4k to 5k - As it turns out I don't need the agency as I can study for those certificates myself and just do the exams.

[/storyover]

Now for the tips and advice part. The career path I want to follow is Desktop support/Field service engineer or network engineer. I understand and accept that my multimedia degree is pretty much useless when looking for this type of job. Having spent sometime reading this forum I understand I have to gain the following certs:

CompTIA A+,
    Network+
    MCDST.

My first query is that these are the entry level Certs - what other qualifications do I need to get once I've started progressing with my career? The reason I'm asking is because I'm a very pre-plan type person :P The only one I'm aware of (having read this forum) is the MCSE and that's only after 3 years exp.

My second query is that I've read alot of posts suggesting what books to get but some posts seem dated (from 2007/2008 ) - so could someone point my in the right direction to the latest material - just so that I don't end up studying outdated content :gun

My third query (post nearly over) is that are there any Master Degree courses that I could take that would be the equivalent to the certificates mentioned above?

My final query is there anyway I can get a job without the certifications and then just gain them later? I mean salary isn't important to me at this stage, just getting a job would be great, but alot of jobs advertised (i've signed up to alot of jobsites) seem to want experience (1year) ..any suggestions on a site for internships/on the job training/entry level :P

Thank you for reading, /postover :)

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

1) Depends how your career progresses. Apart form the entry-level certs you should remember these are certifications, not qualifications. They are designed to certify what you already have experience in.

2) For the A+. I'd recommend study materials for the current (601/2/3/4) exams rather than the soon-to-be-released 701/2 exams. Meyers AIO 6th edition.
    N+: I believe it's Meyers 4th edition that covers the only current (after tomorrow) exams.

3) I wouldn't think so, but others may know different.

4) Although it'll be tough in the current economic climate, you can get entry-level jobs with no experience and no certs. No experience plus some entry-level certs will make it easier.
    Get stuck into studying for the A+ and continue to look for jobs.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Good plan, what other certs? It depends on where your career progresses, eg If you end up working in a Linux environment then the RCHT/RCHE track would be better suited. If you end up working in an Apple environment then the ACSA route would suit you better, or if you end up in a MS environment then the MCSA route would be better...

It's still the same, the new books for the new 2009 version of the A+ hasn't been release yet, to my knowledge.

When mapped to the NQF a degree is higher than the above professional certs, and a Masters is even higher. In one of my previous threads, I've listed professional certs to the NQF, however just because something is mapped to a certain level in the academic world, does not mean that it has that level in the real world. Professional certifications reflect your job role and responsibilities, academic qualifications show that you have studied at a certain level.

Yes, I gain my first IT job without any professional certifications, granted it took me 5 years - but that was mainly because of the area I was living in, added to that I was trying to get into the programming field.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

I wouldn't say that show that you can study.

Welcome to CF

5. zet

zet Byte Poster

ah thanks guys, much appreciated for the quick responses (some boards it takes a few days before getting one :dry)

quick edit

I was thinking of revising for the A+ and trying to get that done within 8 weeks (i dunno if thats long enough) because I have thought about doing an MSc Computer Science degree..one where you are taught it from scratch (course is at kent) ..just incase I want to do programming..but would it look good on a cv as it is a technical subject?

6. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

as your end design is 3d modelling I can see where you are going with it, but would a more art / computer design course be more appropriate then a pure programming one?

As for what other certs to study, the certs reflect what you know so pick and choose the ones that reflect what you are doing now. The MS certs cover a huge breadth of knowledge across all teir products pretty much (though I am waiting on MCP Xbox) so dont worry so much about the MCSA - MCSE route.

A+ in 8 weeks - maybe it depends on how much you know already and how deep that knowledge goes, have a scoot through the A+ forum, look at some of the threads and see if you can answer what is coming up.

good luck.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. zet

zet Byte Poster

No no, I gave up on looking to enter the 3D field and now I'm look for a pure technical role; the MSc I think would look nice on a CV ..initially I was going to do a MSc Computer Animation course BUT I looked at the job market for 3D and realised there is a high probability that I won't get a job, so that would be a big waste of 8k - the computer science MSc is alot cheaper (3.6k) and more affordable for me.

As for my end outcome I think the MSc will allow me to persue a more programming orientated career and the certs for a more technical/support career - just trying to keep my options open atm.

On the other hand I got one reply from a job - was asked to fill out an application - and I'm hoping I get that job. The job itself provides training and I can study for the certs on the side, I think then I would leave the MSc as I would have 'got my foot in the door' :PP