How worried are you about Covid-19?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

At first I brushed it off, but admittedly I am now slightly worried.. I remember things like Mad Cow disease and Swine Flu but never seen anything like this apart from in movies.

I'm already bored in all honesty, everywhere is in lock-down there is nowhere to go and nothing to really do, I actually switched my Xbox on for the first time on yonks today as I was just so bored and usually I'd be at the gym or doing some sort of physical activity.

They've closed my kids school also, which they think is great, and I'm hearing that they won't re-open until much later in the year.. absolutely crazy times (my kids think this is great news).

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

It is crazy isn’t it. Like you say. Doesn’t seem real. I know some Italians and believe me. It’s much worse there and I’ve just heard Spain too is in lockdown now.

I’ve not panic bought shopping but of course I’m concerned. We are all working from home now and not going to customer sites.

Panic helps no one so I’m feeling calm and not going anywhere I don’t need too. Social distance. It’s important to not get bored tho I think. I did some VCP study today as I’m going to get the latest then try again for a VCAP. Failed last time. I’ve enjoyed it to be honest.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Im actually on self isolation and it sucks

4. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

To be brutally honest....I thought it was all a bit OTT.
    Now though, I am taking it VERY seriously. Once you see the big global corporations start to shut their doors, you know its a bad sign.

Harrods has never ever shut its doors, even during the war. Harrods closed up last week.

What worries me, is this the calm before the storm?

drum_dude likes this.
  5. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

I don't think China is being honest with their numbers.

Apparently China has lost over 21 million mobile subscriptions and thousands in Wuhan alone were queuing for their lost relatives ashes.

Jaron78 likes this.
  6. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well I should be worried but I am not if I am honest, having to present in front of people would scare me more, its strange the way my brain works. I have had a transplant and I take a lot of immuno suppressants so my system wont be that great at fighting this off, if it gets round here. Thankfully, I eat healthy (most of the time) and do a fair bit of exercise all of which helps fighting off infections.

Doesnt mean I wont get it but I think I wont be as affected as someone who is in the same situation but doesnt exercise, smokes and drinks like a fish, however, on saying that, I aint taking chances. Im working form home, getting deliveries and go out for a 3-4 mile walk early in the morning to avoid people.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I'm worried about the economic impact of the panic measures which have been put in place. I'm worried about the massive increase in the money supply and I'm worried about what is going to happen when this is over. My main concern is with civil unrest.

However, there has been some positives for me:

- idiot neighbour with a barking dog and loud TV blasting 12 hours a day has been AWOL for the last 2 weeks
    - now the music has stopped, the "cash in hand" nuisance "business people" around here with 3-5 vans parked everywhere have found themselves without a chair.
    - I can actually park outside my own property
    - The sports/social club behind me has closed. That means no-more drunks screaming and shouting at 1am Fri, Sat & Sun and no more footballers waiting at the gate beeping their car horns at 8am on a Sat and Sun.

The above are annoyances which have come about over the years and the attitude has been "if you complain, you are the problem and they are the victim"...that's how crazy this country has become. However, as I write this, it would seem that things around me have rewound back to where they were probably mid 80s - early 90s...and guys, it's total bliss!

Enjoy the war, the peace is going to be hell.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. MSJ Jeni

MSJ Jeni Bit Poster

I am worried most of the time. It makes me paranoid especially that my immune system is not that really good.

9. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

In what way, do you have a health condition? Sorry for the personal question mind. Are you able to keep fit at all?

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  10. chartered

chartered Bit Poster

Getting worried may not help the situation. Much better to watch your health and be vigilant. Stay at home and stay safe.

11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'm under lockdown in a hotel in a foreign country, been here months.

Virus can damage, lungs, heart, kidneys, liver, it can stop red blood cells from carrying oxygen.

Even mainstream media now admits it comes from a research lab.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  12. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hey mate I didn't know you were isolating in a hotel, you're like the King of Thailand :) Seriously I hope that you're safe and well.
    I did wonder about this, it's too early to say that even if you've had it and recovered, what the long term implications may be. It might well have just knocked a decade off your life expectancy :S

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  13. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

Unverified reports have claimed this but no evidence.

A new report from scientists at University of Cambridge have found coronavirus has been spreading between animals months before the outbreak in Wuhan.

14. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

15. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

16. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Even the Cambridge team say it didn't come from the wet market, they just don't finger the research lab...

If you want to check the science its here:-

https://www.researchgate.net/public...019-nCoV_spike_protein_to_HIV-1_gp120_and_Gag

https://www.thailandmedical.news/ne...imilar-to-hiv-and-is-1,000-times-more-potent-

"Professor Ruan Jishou and his team at Nankai University in Tianjin discovered this new property of the SARS-CoV-2 when they were doing genome sequencing of the new coronavirus found a section of mutated genes that did not exist in the original SARS virus, but were similar to those found in HIV."

" The finding of 4 unique inserts in the 2019-nCoV, all of which have identity /similarity to amino acid residues in key structural proteins of HIV-1 is unlikely to be fortuitous in nature."

Multiple teams in different countries have come to the same conclusion about the spike proteins similarity to parts of HIV.

It could however be a naturally derived bat corona virus (but researchers think not), still doesn't mean it wasn't from a lab.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  17. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

They've all had the vax in DC !

18. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

my point is - until it is undoubtedly proven then it should never anywhere be stated as a fact. or even suggested as true.
    misinformation is far more dangerous than most realize. your average bloke will accept it and won't listen to anything proving it otherwise. Think it was explained in 'incognito' book. Or that's what I believe now and no one will ever convince me it isn't like that.

19. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You have to apply your rationale consistently, did the government do this, does the mainstream media do this?

Their 'facts' change by the minute and aren't proven either, yet somehow you give them higher weighting? Why is it only misinformation when its not the government or MSM doing it? Are you a statist, if so why?

20. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster